Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For most of the year I use a pair of Alpinestars SP2's, Which I love and adore. However, when it gets properly cold, I haven't found a good winter option. I'm running Barkbusters and just bought some cheap heated grips which I haven't put on yet.

I was sold by an online company (the one starting with a Rev) the Held Air & Dry's. I tried them out for a while and was generally unimpressed. They were to warm in the "summer" chamber and way to cold when using the goretex chamber and I lost a lot of feel because of all the material between my hands and the bike.

At the moment I'm using the Alpinestars C-1 Windstoppers. They feel great on cooler days but don't cut it in the cold, the short cuff makes for cold wrists, and honestly seem quite unprotected.

So I'm wondering what others are using and how they feel. I don't mind dropping money on gloves I'm just fed up with being unsatisfied. Anyone tried the Alpinestars Apex Drystars?

:thanx::thanx::thanx::thanx::thanx:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Tourmaster polar tex. Warm and flexible, but not much crash protection.

Alpinestar jet Gore-tex. Keep the wind out and work well with heated grips.

Sliders Kevlar cold weather gloves. Kind of like the Alpinestar gloves at a fraction of the price, but not "Gore-tex" waterproof.

Tourmaster Synergy heated gloves. Use with heated grips for those days when it doesn't get much above freezing.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I just bought a pair of Gordon's heated gloves...made in america was a big selling point...not much in the way of protection..but they are nice and warm (I haven't even turned them all the way up yet)...as with any winter glove they are thicker than summer gloves..the layer of thinsulate adds to that...the only heated winter gloves with "protection" I know of are the Firstgear and Venture Carbon gloves..neither of which I have had any experience with...heated gear is heaven sent...

http://gordonsheated.com/heated_gloves.html

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
16,226 Posts
When needed i use these. Have been very happy with them
.. I paid $124.00 for them in Dec,2013 I wear XL in all my gloves but a Large in this glove was perfect.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
or install the heated grips, and use the gloves you already have, and install some grip puppies/hippo hands/grip windsocks, etc

·
Registered
601 Posts
Heated gloves and heated jacket liner...

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
I use these "Fieldsheer" gloves w/ those little wool gloves (that look like kids' gloves) that stretch to fit, inside. The gloves are leather w/ padding around the wrists, heel of the palms, back of the hands as well as knuckles, and are 'gauntlets', so go over the cuffs keeping cold air OUT, as well as two velcro closures per glove, and suede in the palms!

Had them for several years, and REALLY like 'em...!

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
After many years of trying to "layer" glove liners and gloves (once even tried a pair of big rubber chemical gloves OVER a cotton glove AND a thin glove liner) I finally bought a pair of First Gear electric gloves from Cycle Gear for around $120 (It's been about 4 years now) What a positive difference. I should have bought them a long time ago. It makes riding in cold weather so much more enjoyable. Mine have 3 settings - low, medium and high - and have proven to be reliable. I've read some comments about them not being waterproof - couldn't testify to that - cold is one thing - cold and wet - no thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the great feedback guys! I have a feeling I have to break down and get heated gloves. can anyone tell me what they fit like? my hands run on the long fingered skinny side.

·
Premium Member
16,226 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
My cold weather gloves are Warm n Safe electric gloves. Along with heated grips I'm OK at freeway speeds in the mid 20s F. In those conditions, my hands are not so much warm as both hot and cold. The Versys has hand guards and my other bike doesn't--at freeway speeds the hand guards seem to be good for about one position on my 5-position heated grips.

For warmer times I'm not going electric, Racer Multitops work pretty well for me--I have a "windshield wiper" from the aerostich store I slip on the thumb in wet conditions. The warm n safe gloves have a built in wiper.

Before I went electric I used Tourmaster Winter Elite for the coldest weather. Pretty warm for unheated gloves (especially with the built in lobster-claw rain cover deployed), but they're bulky and I find it tiring to ride with bulky gloves.

If I had to go with a non-electric cold weather glove now I'd look pretty hard at the current model of BMW Pro Winter gloves.

·
Registered
616 Posts
can anyone tell me what they fit like? my hands run on the long fingered skinny side.
Mine too. My unheated XL Racer Multitop gloves fit me better than my electric XL Warm n Safe gloves. The thumb is a little short on the racers, and the gloves have a snug fit. The Warm n safe seems to be more short/loose fitting. It's possible I should have looked at Gerbings electric gloves more closely. Warm n Safe offered the thinnest heated glove I found (which is why I need to use heated grips with them on cold days), and they have hard armor (which I thought was a good thing, though I see now that it's controversial).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts