Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gone through two rain suits over the past several years. The last one was Frog Troggs. The top worked fine but the second time I used the pants I got a set butt in a hurry. Now it was RAINING ! Last Aug I got caught up in heavy rain for 450miles straight riding and was totally soaked to the bone that even my boats filled up.
So does anyone have an input what to purchase and what not. I'll go into the hundreds but not $1200 for a Klim suit. I have two more long rides this summer and need to be prepared better.

Thank you,
Keith

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a Neslon Rigg suite and it works well. Not sure what model it is as I've had it about 10 years. I don't wear it all that often. My winter pants and jacket are waterproof so I only wear the rain suit when it's raining and warm.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have this:

Tested in hard rain and hard wind for 250km.

After 200km my front and back part of neck start to be wet (I buy that suite day before trip so i don't know maybe I didn’t hook that part around my neck well + draining water from helmet on my back part of neck ), after 200km of hard rain + hard wind. I need to stop and replace my top part underwear with new dry,than I add plastic bag on my chest (jacket was wet because somewhere from neck wather find way to make my jacket wet ), than t-shirt, jacket and rain jacket. And no problem after that.

Basicaly only neck part was problem, all other was 100% dry.

Second test was 50km on ultra hard rain - i was 100% dry.

But 450miles of hard rain you have I think that every rain gear will leak somewhere at some point where is weakest connection (like me on my neck)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an aerostich suit, it just doesn't leak. There's a definite investment there though. In my travels, I've found the thousand dollar suits are a thousand dollars for a reason; that much impact-rated goretex is just that expensive. Before my aerostich, I used PU lined liners in my two-piece set. I took that set to Alaska from Nebraska and supplemented it with a goretex rain jacket. The gear set was made by Oxford, it was their Montreal line. I think they still sell something very similar. Polyurethane lined stuff is about as cheap as it gets, like wearing a garbage bag. It doesn't breath well which is a problem if you plan on wearing it all day, not just when it is raining. Your frog-tog is a polypropylene, fairly similar. They design their gear to be a little more breathable than a PU lined cheapo set.

Your main problem sounds like you have big holes in your rain gear; namely around the neck, the arm holes, legholes, and the waist. You're going to want to supplement your rain gear to include waterproof boots and gloves, as well as a tight collar and a sealed jacket and pants such as a one piece suit. I use tall boots and make sure my pants cover that seam because I hate wet feet. I usually let my gloves soak through in the summer, but I use a pair of hippo hands in the colder months for long distance travel.

You probably also had some problems with driving rain and pooled water soak through. Water will eventually soak through semipermiable (breathable) raingear. Next time you ride in the rain, try and look down and see if there are puddles of water collecting in the folds of your jacket. My gear has a fold around the crotch area that will eventually soak through. I just stand up every few minutes in the rain to empty the puddle and eliminate that issue. Have you tried wearing your rain gear under your jacket? That will also work to prevent this issue, water that pools up will diffuse through your jacket and run down the inside onto your rain gear.

One final thing that will help slightly is to treat your riding jacket and pants with something called DWR - durable water repellent. It's not waterproofing, it is a water repellent. It helps gear from soaking in. Something else to look into.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts