Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys. it is time to change my air filter and i would like to get something aftermarket. are there any of you who have installed a performance filter? which one do you guys think is the best for the V?

·
Registered
779 Posts
I've got a DNA. Works fine. Nice quality. Like a K&N.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's what i am talking about. I wanted to make sure that there are no bad effects from the DNA. like for example K&N won't work on a honda 919,929,954. it fits but the bike won't run.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i rather get a new stock one than clean it. it is not that expansive and if you got money for brand new bike, then youve got to be able to get a new air filter. i think im gonna go with the DNA this time. see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
687 Posts
clean it? as in just bang the dust out of it? wash it with water and let it dry? or oil it? or some combination of the above?
Some guys use dish soap and wash it in water. K&N sells a cleaning kit with a spray on cleaner, you let it sit for a couple of minutes then rinse it under the tap. When the filter is dry, re-oil it with the oil in the kit. The filter is designed to be cleaned, so in no way is this the poor man's way of dealing with the situation (in reference to the post above).

·
Registered
117 Posts
clean it? as in just bang the dust out of it? wash it with water and let it dry? or oil it? or some combination of the above?
When I cleaned mine, I followed the instructions given in the 2007 Versys service manual: clean with a high volatility petroleum-based solvent, blow dry, and re-oil with SAE30 oil.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I think the stock filters are pretty darn free flowing. I went with a DNA because I thought it had better filtration. The stock is a very thin porous foam.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think the stock filters are pretty darn free flowing. I went with a DNA because I thought it had better filtration. The stock is a very thin porous foam.
I think they changed it for 2008. Mine looks like this (well, it's cleaner now :D ):

The filter material is the thickness of the bracket.

It might be a U.S.-only filter, I dunno honestly.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
My original 2007 Canadian filter was just like yours with a steel mesh on the other side. My Pipercross filter is considerably less restrictive... Replacing the 1-1/2" ID inlets with 1-7/8" ID (56% more surface area) reinforced rubber hose, grooved to fit snuggly in the airbox's stock rounded rectangular holes made a big difference too.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Opinions notwithstanding, does anyone know if there have
been any scientific tests done for particulate size and flow?

I used K&N for many years to good effect, but I was working
as a auto mechanic and kept them properly serviced. I've
since heard some disparaging remarks but without backup
data it sounds more like opinion than proof.

Next to quality oil filters, air filters are probably one of the
least appreciated aspects of keeping an engine healthy.
Compares to tire pressure; often overlooked...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Geez, I must have had a faulty stock filter. I could see light through some of the pores. I didn't like that at all. Your larger air inlets are looking good. Were you to do it again, would you still insulate your box?

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I did insulate it, and yes I would do it again... That pic shows the box just before I also added the insulating foam tape to the front/bottom portion.

·
Registered
779 Posts
1 - 20 of 58 Posts