Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I will take the words out of the mouth of about 70% (...I hear that 83% of statistics are made up...) or more of the riders on this form who have tested them and read about them... I personally have run one for about 8500 miles, others have logged more.

Metzler Tourance.

However, I like a softer tire for my day to day. I'm an Avon Distanzia believer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I will take the words out of the mouth of about 70% (...I hear that 83% of statistics are made up...) or more of the riders on this form who have tested them and read about them... I personally have run one for about 8500 miles, others have logged more.

Metzler Tourance.

However, I like a softer tire for my day to day. I'm an Avon Distanzia believer.
What kind of mileage can one expect out of an Avon Distanzia? I had those on my KLX650R that I converted to street legal, but it was a much lighter bike and I didn't really track my mileage...

·
Super Moderator
19,395 Posts
Can't say for the Distanza, but I got 10,008 miles from the OEM Dunlop rear, then got 11,156 from a Dunlop RoadSmart rear. :thumb:

(Continental ContiMotions are on both ends now.)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Wow...I hope I don't get that much out of my OEMs. I plan on replacing them this Summer with Distanzas as I have a LOT of reasonably well maintained gravel around here and want something that will run the gravel better than the OEMs.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Wow...I hope I don't get that much out of my OEMs. I plan on replacing them this Summer ...
Not to worry... My OEM rear was almost bald at 3,400 miles. I think that these guys who get 10,000 on them must be riding on velvet roads :confused:

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Velvet roads LOL!! Brown suede leather roads would be nice. :rolleyes:

Can't say for the Distanza, but I got 10,008 miles from the OEM Dunlop rear, then got 11,156 from a Dunlop RoadSmart rear. :thumb:

(Continental ContiMotions are on both ends now.)
That's great mileage for sure. :clap: You run at stock 32/36 psi? Any hard accelerating at WOT up to high revs? It'll be interesting to see if you can get as much out of the more affordable ContiMotions, for which I've seen average mileage results.

·
Registered
122 Posts
AS far as the soft compound Distanzia, i got a little under 5K on on two seperate occasions. I live on a long, rough gravel drive and it was a noticable upgrade in grip on the wetter days to get to tarmac as compared to the the stock and michelin CT's I had run. But on the pavement, these things stick like glue. My favorite tire going except for long trips, then I will snag a metzler.

The tourance did a decent job for me at 8500. Definatley the longest I have run rear tire. Some of the guys on here have been rocking these things for 15K (If you've not read the posts from JDrocks or Gary's posts of "Going South till the road ends" you will be amazed)

I am actually trying out the road smarts right now, thought I would get them worn out before the winter, but no dice.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Right at 9,000 miles on stock rear now. I think I should get another 1,000 before ordering. Still looks good and no cupping. I don't ride aggressively, and admittably the roads are mostly straight and smooth. I do, load up heavy when I hit the road for some traveling, but do not ride two up.
Best mileage I have ever had on a stock tire.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm at a little over 8K on the stock tires...the rear is down to the wear bars. My V is going to be wearing a set of PR2's when spring gets here.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
What do you mean by "best"? Best performing tire that also lasted (and where exactly do you expect it to perform well - on/off/back roads/wet/etc/etc), or simply which-tire-gave-you-the-longest-mileage? :confused:

Much like the oil question, all you'll get out of this is a lot of angst. ;) (sorry, couldn't resist that pun) I haven't had a set of tires that lasted more than 5K miles. As you can see above, some people get 10K out of the OEM tires that I killed in 3.5K miles. Riding conditions, habits, etc. make so much of a difference that unless you actually know how and where people ride, it's impossible to make a real comparison from the diverse group of people that participate here.

There are lots of thread with people's reviews of tires they used, could be a good place to start.

Gustavo

·
Registered
10 Posts
My son's gotten a bit over 12,000 on his OEM Dunlop Sportsmax D221, and I gotta tell ya Las Vegas doesn't have Velvet roads. In fact alot of our secondary roads start with the letter "S".

·
Registered
242 Posts
i got about 15k miles out of front and rear trail wings. of course that was on a much heavier caponord.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Regarding Tire Wear

I think we have to establish a definitive criteria index for all the variable factors involved, assigning each one a numerical value, e.g.

* Riding Style:
Acceleration
Braking
Cornering

* Road:
Surface Type
Roughness
Abrasiveness
Frictional Coefficient
% Turns per Mile

* Temperature:
Air
Road

* Humidity:
Air
Road

* Weight:
Bike
Rider
Gear
Front Wheel (Static Sum)
Rear Wheel (Static Sum)
Total

Then we’ll plug it all into a database and create charts... Of course we’ll probably need access to a Cray Super Computer and the charts will be so complex that they’ll need to be presented & viewed using 3D technology...
:D

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Regarding Tire Wear

I think we have to establish a definitive criteria index for all the variable factors involved, assigning each one a numerical value, e.g.

* Riding Style:
Acceleration
Braking
Cornering

* Road:
Surface Type
Roughness
Abrasiveness
Frictional Coefficient
% Turns per Mile

* Temperature:
Air
Road

* Humidity:
Air
Road

* Weight:
Bike
Rider
Gear
Front Wheel (Static Sum)
Rear Wheel (Static Sum)
Total

Then we’ll plug it all into a database and create charts... Of course we’ll probably need access to a Cray Super Computer and the charts will be so complex that they’ll need to be presented & viewed using 3D technology...
Sorry buddy but if you throw in the variable of this crazy Kiwi and his inconsistence riding style the super computer will have a fit and crash :D

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Regarding Tire Wear

* Riding Style:
Acceleration
Braking
Cornering

* Road:
Surface Type
Roughness
Abrasiveness
Frictional Coefficient
% Turns per Mile

* Temperature:
Air
Road

* Humidity:
Air
Road

* Weight:
Bike
Rider
Gear
Front Wheel (Static Sum)
Rear Wheel (Static Sum)
Total

oooowwww ... my head hurts just thinking about this! :(.......:D

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm at a little over 8K on the stock tires...the rear is down to the wear bars. My V is going to be wearing a set of PR2's when spring gets here.

That's my OEM rear with 8.2K miles on it...

Just installed a set of Shinko 009 Ravens, which are supposed to be the longest wearing tire in Shinko's line of "sport-performance radials." So far, they are better all-around than the stockers, and I am hoping to get at least 10K out of 'em. I have a set of Bridgestone BTO23's in the shop which will go on next for comparison's sake.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
oooowwww ... my head hurts just thinking about this! :(.......:D
Yeah, my head too... And I’m sure I missed a number of factors... and then there’s the tires themselves... and the pressures...

Some years ago (after eating a rear Metzeler Lasertec in just over 2,000 miles on my Honda Shadow 500) I embarked on a quest to find “the best tire” — which I loosely defined as: The one which got the best mileage but that didn’t slide on dry pavement before the pegs dragged.

After a fair bit of research I got a set of Metzeler Marathon ME880 which were reputed to last a long time and handle reasonable well.

I then inspected and recorded the riding parameters & results in meticulous detail (I started by checking pressures and measuring tread depth at multiple points on the tire daily... then at 500 mile increments...).

After going through several sets of those tires & experimenting with the pressures, etc., the most solid conclusion that I came to, was that riding style alone can make all the difference in the world! Riding on multiple sets of those same tires, at the same pressures, on the same bike, carrying the same weight, on the same roads, in the same seasons: I initially got 10,000 miles on the Rear & 20,000 on the Front. A year later – when I was riding it considerably harder – I was getting 7,000 Rear & 14,000 Front.

So, when you hear someone say that they got nnnnn miles on tire ABCD just remember that YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts