Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Vrooming on a 2019 Versys 650
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just traded in my 2018 Versys X-300 for a 2019 650 ABS (obviously not the LT as judging by the photo below).

Being 6' 3" and 210 lbs, I already encountered the buffeting hilarity, so I've ordered the National Cycle VStream touring tall windscreen and have a clip-on visor to add to that.

Other "musts" will quickly be hand guards and crash bars. I had Acerbis X-Strong Supermoto hand guards and Givi crash bars on the 300; wondering which pairing will install, function, and look best on the 650 WHILE clearing the VStream and providing ample coverage via crash bars? The OEM options? Prefer not to pay OEM pricing if you know what I mean...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have the 1000, not the 650, so take this as it is.

The SW Motech engine crash guards are really nice. The T-Rex racing rear guards have been changed and look to have improved (I don't have them yet). Pretty much any aftermarket windshield will improve your experience over stock.

·
Registered
775 Posts
what will you do with it? because that will change what and how you protect.

For instance, for offroad frequent tip over in dirt or rocks, sw motech tiny single little bar is utterly useless.

If you are going to be on asphalt all the time, some frame slider would do well for cheaper to keep the bike from "flattenning" completely, rubber in the air, resting on pegs and tank (something the versys does too well...)

Also, please search the forum, this has already been discussed plenty.

·
Registered
364 Posts
This crash bar give you enough protection, and it has 3 connection point on each side of motorbike, and forth point are in front of radiator, where you connect left and right side on crashbar.
I have that crashbar, but I didin't test them, and I hope that I never need to test them.

Check picture and you will see that he have good protection.

Reactions: Versys206

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what will you do with it? because that will change what and how you protect.

For instance, for offroad frequent tip over in dirt or rocks, sw motech tiny single little bar is utterly useless.

If you are going to be on asphalt all the time, some frame slider would do well for cheaper to keep the bike from "flattenning" completely, rubber in the air, resting on pegs and tank (something the versys does too well...)

Also, please search the forum, this has already been discussed plenty.
I use it about 90% asphalt/10% groomed dirt/forest service roads...but taking the anecdote of dropping my 2018 300 x2 when I'm coming to a stop on dirt or else parked in the McDonalds parking lot and incorrectly assume the kickstand is down- more coverage on the crash bars is preferred- similar to the wrap-around GIVI's on my 300.

I'm reviewing a lot of the older posts about windscreen-to-hand guard clearance and optimal pairings for the 650, but as there is such an endless variety of options to combine together (and many of the threads are about the 1K or 300) I was hoping for feedback about best + clearance with the Vstream. I've adjusted the title of this thread for clarity.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have the Givi hand guards and the "Sport/Tour" Nat'l Cycle V-Stream on my Gen 3. No interference at any screen setting, but your particular handlebar adjustment and model of V-Stream may be different.

Reactions: Versys206

·
Super Moderator
19,947 Posts
I have ZETA XC hand-guards on my '08 (had them on my '09 TOO) and haven't had any clearance issues, even w/ the modded Yamaha Majesty screen I use when it's cold. Also - I did a 30 mph low-side w/ them AND H-B crash-bars on Mt Graham in AZ, and had VERY LITTLE damage on the bike, as well as a 'similar' w/ the '09 on the Dempster Hwy that bent-hell out of the left saddle-bag.

DSC03649 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

2010-11-02 - 001 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Here's the 'repaired' damage, using tape MOSTLY!

DSC05405 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC05404 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

(y)(y)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just traded in my 2018 Versys X-300 for a 2019 650 ABS (obviously not the LT as judging by the photo below).

Being 6' 3" and 210 lbs, I already encountered the buffeting hilarity, so I've ordered the National Cycle VStream touring tall windscreen and have a clip-on visor to add to that.

Other "musts" will quickly be hand guards and crash bars. I had Acerbis X-Strong Supermoto hand guards and Givi crash bars on the 300; wondering which pairing will install, function, and look best on the 650 WHILE clearing the VStream and providing ample coverage via crash bars? The OEM options? Prefer not to pay OEM pricing if you know what I mean...

Thanks!
View attachment 180633
Nuts, wish you had bought mine from me!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reactions: SS7

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't tell you what is best but ... am happy with Cycra handguards and SW Motech crash guards on my 2015 Versys 650. :)
SW Motech Crash Guards
Cycra Handguards

Good luck!
I'm leaning towards the SW Motech crash guards but have a hard time believing the single bar per side approach does the same duty as the more wrap around style crash bars which at least visually suggest greater area of coverage? Would love your thoughts.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm leaning towards the SW Motech crash guards but have a hard time believing the single bar per side approach does the same duty as the more wrap around style crash bars which at least visually suggest greater area of coverage? Would love your thoughts.
I think if SW-Motech sells them, they're pretty much rock solid. I bought the SW-Motech sliders personally as I don't do any off road riding. I really like their bars though, very minimalist.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I don't usually do any off road riding. These are therefore very good for my riding needs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't usually do any off road riding. These are therefore very good for my riding needs.
Other than this thread
I can't find much talk here about the Puig crash bars which look to provide a nice surface area when compared to SW Motech.

Any thoughts? Owners?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I hadn't seen the SW Motech engine guard for that bike. Those look like really nice minimal coverage, but a little low to keep the bike from laying belly up once tipped. The Puig bars look to provide similar coverage to the SW Motech bars I have on my 1000. I would definitely lean more toward those than the minimal ones.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Compliments of the SW Motech site...looks more oriented for a pavement drop? Maybe their engineers did the math and realized you can cover the fall a number of ways with half or less the hardware, but the lack of surface area/coverage when compared to Puig makes me worry as I spend some time on groomed (but uneven) dirt roads, etc.

SW Motech engine guards Versys 650

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I have a 2019 650LT so it has the factory hand guards. I chose T-Rex for engine guards and luggage guards. Very pleased.

Nice. Just ordered the Puig crash bars (we'll see how they work) and the VStream had horrible buffeting so I threw my motoparty visor on the top and, still adjusting here and there, but seems good. AOK up to 75 MPH or so, buffeting noticeable but not the end of the world at 75 MPH and above, but again, adjusting visor seems to diminish to barely noticeable ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts