Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a contractor I have been bidding jobs at night, on the V, and bring along a print out of a goggle map to find the location, not good in the dark. Soooo, I want to pull the trigger on a GPS. I know a bunch of you have them, and I need one that is beyond simple (my middle name) to use and easy to read and reasonably priced.
Tkx all

·
Registered
496 Posts
Garmin Zumo 450 with Speedy's mount. Hands down the top dog for me. Waterproof, shockproof, and get's me where I need to be without issue. I've had mine for a year now, but I'm fairly certain they've come down in price drastically since my purchase (I paid around $430 from Amazon.)

Jim

A few shots of mine mounted from a few rev levels of farkles ago:

·
Registered
47 Posts
+1 on the Zumo

I have had a Zumo 550 over a year now and very happy with it.
The 450 would really be fine, ( the 550 has XM, MP3 capability and cost more)

·
Registered
136 Posts
We have been using the Zumo 550 for almost two years now. We have had a couple other GPS units, but this is our favorite. We have it hooked into our Autocom system and we can hear the spoken directions through the intercom and also play MP3's. If something happened to it today, I would replace it with another one.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have the Garmin Quest and it's a good, versatile unit, but maybe a little more complex than what you have in mind. Everything I've heard about the Zumo is good and if I were buying a new one today that's what I'd probably go with. The display is a good size and with the touch screen feature it's very suitable for bikers, especially if you ride wearing gloves. Shop around because the prices on these vary a LOT!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have a TomTom Rider 2. I bought a TT 1 and it crapped out on me, so they sent me a new 2 at no charge.

I made my own bracket before Speedy's came to market.

Is it the best? I don't think TomTom's product is as reliable in general as Garmin. My wife has a Garmin Nuvi and to me its not as user friendly and not as easy to plan routes and detours etc.

Machog

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I have a Zumo 550 mounted on the Speedy mount and really like the location better that the Motech/Kawi mount. You don't have to take your eyes as far off of the road to look at it. I also use it with my cell phone and Chatterbox XBi. That way I can see the caller id on the Zumo before I decide if I want to stop and take the call. I can listen to MP3s and voice directions on the Zumo through the XBi.

The Zumo has gotten me lost once...the road just wasn't there. I really like that it stores the tracks so that I can see where I rode...it also works great as an accurate speedometer. Overall I have been very happy with it...just a little pricey. I have even dropped it a couple of times with no issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i also have the zumo 550 and i think it's great. i replaced my lowrance i way 500 with the zumo, much easier to use and comes with both car and bike mounts.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all...This forum always rocks...Pulled the trigger on the Garmin and of course had to give Speedy my credit card # also :D And hallelujah, now more dopey goggle maps;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Garmin gives AMA members 20% off. I ordered a 660 through their web site (supposed to ship on 4/13). Price was $639 after the discount. AMA is only $40 and you get free road side assistance with the membership. Check the AMA member site for more info.

I imagine that there will be a few 550s & 450s on ebay after the 660 ships.

Steve

·
Registered
496 Posts
Good deal Contractor. Looks like the Zumo 450 is a STEAL right now (seeing as how Schleppy got his for $100 less than I paid in June 08.)

Rock on,
Jim

·
Registered
124 Posts
Actually MackDaddy, I bought mine on 7/22/08. I think I lucked out and got it during some big sale.

Regardless, keep your eyes peel, someone is always having a sale.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good deal Contractor. Looks like the Zumo 450 is a STEAL right now (seeing as how Schleppy got his for $100 less than I paid in June 08.)
Actually, it seems to be quite the opposite. I've been trying to find a good deal on a 450 for the past 4 months or so, Yes, prices were down to about $350 on Amazon earlier in the year, but now they are up to $700. I'm not sure why, but my thinking is that there is still sufficient demand for the units but since they are discontinued, the supply is drying up. I just found a used one on Craigslist, which I pick up next week. It's supposed to come with all accessories, in the box. I would be hesitant to buy one with just the mount & power cord for fear that it's stolen.

Also, if you find one on at an attractive price on the Internet, do your homework on the reseller. I've heard a lot of stories of people ordering a unit at a great price and then getting the run-around or high-pressure sales pitches to buy other stuff.

Some discussions that you might find handy can be found over on ADV Rider:

Which GPS Should I buy?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363483

Where are the good deals?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394747

1 - 20 of 26 Posts