Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New rider here. The legend goes that someone has to give you the bell right? I can't go out and get it myself, won't have the same effect in warding off the motorcycle gremlins right?

I don't know that many bikers/motorcyclist/Versys pilots and am wondering when mine will come about. It's a right of passage thing as I understand it so I guess I'll just have to wait for it to happen.

Any stories about how you guys got yours? Does anyone actually have them on their bikes? Was reading another thread and I saw one hanging off of a V in a pic and it made me think of it.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Mine came from my garage and resembles a small cow bell so I guess I'm screwed.:eek:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Dude don't worry! You can do a ton of things for safe passage. Do the one that is closest to your truth or heart! Some people have their bike smugged and blessed! Others do nothing and think its silly!
You pick what is right for you! Most guys will not talk too much about this because it is really a personal thing. And some times the things done are a little strange! Ha! Ha! Enough said! :thumb: :goodluck:

·
Premium Member
16,222 Posts
I bought one when i first got the V then had to buy another one this year. It fell off or got snatched. Some guys from another group were asking me about it. I went in to eat then later after the ride i noticed it was gone. Amazon has a good selection of them.

The bell is hanging below the exhaust. The second photo was taken just before the bell went missing.

IMG_0097 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0851 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Joseph I hope it fell off because it somebody took it, that is really bad carma! Somethings are not to be touched! Period! :eek:

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
The goal is to eliminate NVH as well as possible. Adding a dang bell to create an annoying noise which may mask a potentially critical breakdown, or fall off with catastrophic results is completely illogical... It can in fact attract imaginative 'gremlins' as well as it can repel them. Gremlins absolutely love the sound of them :censored: little bells!

·
Premium Member
16,222 Posts
The goal is to eliminate NVH as well as possible. Adding a dang bell to create an annoying noise which may mask a potentially critical breakdown, or fall off with catastrophic results is completely illogical... Besides, it can neither repel or attract imaginative 'gremlins'.

Hell.. I just like the silly thing..:D

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I had some friends of mine years ago give me one. I didn't know what it was at the time but then did some reading about them. I was touched that they gave it to me and it has been on my bikes ever since.

If you want one, buy one for yourself. On a past forum I used to frequent, they started a thread about buying one for another member and shipping it to them if they would reciprocate. I never really understood this. Unless you are really superstitious, order one and hang it on your bike! :thumb: Seems kinda weird to ask someone to give you one..

Mine is just in front of the exhaust can.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
My friend and co-worker Henry rides a "BigDog".
He was my riding partner when I had my learners permit.
couple years ago we were unloading a show into the Opera House and Henry made a bit of a show of presenting me with a small felt bag with a bell inside.
(it was my first day of riding with a full license).
Very cool to know someones thinking of you.
Love the bell!
Good Karma.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I was going to hang a bell off that little useless mount hole on the right side below the body work. Then I decided to put a grenade pin in the hole instead. Draws a lot of attention for such a subtle little add on.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My wife bought me mine back when we were dating. I hang it from the guide loop for the clutch cable. She's from a catholic family, so I usually call it my "bell of perpetual pain and sorrow" when she points it out ;-)

Its the thought that counts. Gremlin bell, rabbits feet, whatever it may be, if you get one just remember someone cares about you. I don't know that I'd buy one for myself lol

·
Registered
944 Posts
I always thought those bells were something that the cruiser guys got in lieu of rider training.
To ward off the Gremlins huh?
Put one on a Versys and you might be convinced it works, but that Ural will be a sterner test!

·
Registered
430 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_thinking

According to theories of anxiety relief and control, people turn to magical beliefs when there exists a sense of uncertainty and potential danger and little to do about it. Magic is used to restore a sense of control.

(Wearing your favorite team hat doesn't help them win either.)

·
Super Moderator
19,633 Posts
The goal is to eliminate NVH as well as possible. Adding a dang bell to create an annoying noise which may mask a potentially critical breakdown, or fall off with catastrophic results is completely illogical... It can in fact attract imaginative 'gremlins' as well as it can repel them. Gremlins absolutely love the sound of them :censored: little bells!
On a similar note: lots of folks buy and wear little bells when hiking in bear country, to ward off the bears.

Folklore has it, that when the Rangers shoot bears that have killed and eaten someone, they find those little bells inside the bears guts.... :huh:

(I live in grizzly bear country, and have for a LONG time!) :blah:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts