Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been watching the weather forecast for a while. Today was the Bonus day so guess what I did?

Put in 180 miles mostly in the foot hills and mountains. Made it up to the 5000 foot level where it was actually warmer that down in the valley. Not to mention the most blue sky you could imagine. You can see it in the pics.

Unfortunately there are also a couple of shots looking down at the total crap air quality in the central valley where (cough, cough) I live. Look closely and you will see a distant dark line on the top edge of the haze. That dark line is the top of the coast range mountains, 100 miles away.

Saw some ferocious animals along the way. A young cow was in the road which I was able to maneuver around. Dodged a couple of ground squirrels and a pack of wild pigs. Dispatched the pigs with a toot on the horn.

Later on the way home I came across the dreaded OMR... Old Man Running along side the road. Gotta hand it to this dude as he had to be 80 years old and jogged in an age appropriate manner...Lol. Crap that's more than I can do. This is why I ride. I can't run or jump anymore but buddy I can still ride!

The following is photographic evidence.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
It's definitely a good time to stock up on N95 or N99 respirators again.

Nice pics. I'm in the process of taking the Tupperware off of mine to add some lights to help fight all this fog we've been getting lately.

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Nice scenery, except for the valley smog.

Later on the way home I came across the dreaded OMR... Old Man Running along side the road. Gotta hand it to this dude as he had to be 80 years old and jogged in an age appropriate manner...Lol.
Let me tell a story. I grew up spending summers at the shore. I'd retire there if I could afford it (and if the NJ politics weren't so crazy/corrupt). I take my kids and grand-kids there most every summer for a couple of weeks.

Early one morning just after sunrise, my dad and I were enjoying a cup of coffee in front of the local Wawa. Approaching from the right is an old guy, looked to be 80 yrs old, jogging in slow-motion towards us, wearing old-fashioned gym shorts, a tank top, and worn running shoes. His skin was a weathered dark caramel tan. From the left a young fit female lifeguard was approaching, out on her morning run in her (sexy!) red official Lifeguard uniform - short shorts and t-shirt. As the two passed each other right in front of me, they gave each other a high-5. She said "Hi, Gene!", and he replied "Hi!".

Gene is my role model. I want to be Gene! When I'm 80 yrs old I want the hot 20-something women to be giving me a high 5 and know my name.

·
Registered
41 Posts
thanks for the great pix hawkerjet, looks like you had a great ride up in them thar hills, beautiful country. Is that all just air pollution in the valley or a temperature inversion? (or both?)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the great pix hawkerjet, looks like you had a great ride up in them thar hills, beautiful country. Is that all just air pollution in the valley or a temperature inversion? (or both?)
It's both. The San Joaquin valley is long with mountains on both sides and the south end.

The inversion is quite strong in the winter months which effectively puts a lid on the air at around the 1500 foot level. Unfortunately this traps all the car exhaust, fireplace and ag burning smoke, dust, flu, TB, malaria, cow farts, etc down where we live and breathe.

Heading to the coast or up in the mountains is the only saving grace.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Well, it wasn't really a beautiful day and it looks like I won't be doing my favorite stretch of twisties for awhile, but it was still a fun ride.

Dear Gibster,

What is that "white stuff" growing up from the ground on the side of the road?

Sincerely,

Versys Owners in Florida

>:) >:) >:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts