Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have either or both of these? I found the blue one with a search and sort had mix opinions.
I have a little trip coming up that I will need to change tires at least once.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bob

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have neither but after watching both in action on the various "how to change your tires" videos on YouTube the Black one would be my choice.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I had not searched for it that way.

I think I will order the back one.

: )

·
Registered
467 Posts
Bob,
I've got the top one, I bought it break the rear bead on a F650GS (not an easy task). My plan was to carry it on the road but it's made of cast iron and in my opinion it's way to heavy to take on the road.

Gary

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob,
I've got the top one, I bought it break the rear bead on a F650GS (not an easy task). My plan was to carry it on the road but it's made of cast iron and in my opinion it's way to heavy to take on the road.

Gary
Yeah it is 5.4 pounds vs. 1 lb. for the blue one. It is suggested to use a 2 lb. dead blow mallet with the blue one. So it is like 3-3.5 lbs. vs. 5.4 lbs. But I think the black one will take up less room.

I am still thinking it over. I need to order my new tkc 80's soon. And will use whatever I decide on to change them in the driveway so I get to know it. For 20 bucks I may order both.

·
Registered
257 Posts
yup, the blue one works

I used the blue one with great success on my versys tires. I had to go around the rim twice (every1/4 give it a whack) and it worked fine, it's light and small so it would be my choice for a carry-along.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just use a big "C" clamp from any local hardware store.... Cheap and works perfect....

Richard

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just use a big "C" clamp from any local hardware store.... Cheap and works perfect....

Richard
I have my own tire changer here at home. I have tried the c clamps without a lot of success. Maybe they were not big enough. I have also tried the big wooden clamps.

Probably not enough strength left in the old hands.

:)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+1 what Richard said.

If you go for the blue one, no need to carry a mallet, just grab a brick or a rock, something heavy. Improvise.
Actually this is a very good idea. Thanks.
Especially as I plan to be "in town" when I change them.

:)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
blue bead popper. i don't think it weighs even 8oz.

on the road, light and simple is better, although in this case, it's faster too.
I have not been popping blues...lol
According to motorcyclesuperstore it is 16oz.
I am going to order the Blue one for now and mount the TKC's with it here in the yard. And run some gravel with them before I mount the new Tourances for the trip.

And YOU KNOW I mean this with respect.

Mr. Chew Nails and spit out scooter parts.
LOL
Your new build looks fantastic.
:clap:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts