Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, we did our Baviaanskloof ride on 6 - 11 September. I was on my V joined by 2 guys on their 800GS and a KLR. It was a awsome ride through one of the most beatiful places in South Africa. We drove from Johannesburg down to PE at the south coast (1200km). The route then took us back via the Baviaanskloof of which 200 km is gravel road. In total we did 2600 km.

I fitted Pirelli MT tyres front and back as a lot of the riding is on rough 4x4 tracks. During the rainy season there are about 40 river crossings. Lucy for us it was the dry season so the rivers were ok. There is just one very long river crossing. I guess it is about 80 meters long. It has rocks and is a very tricky crossing. We all made it without incident.

The V kept up with the GS 800's no problem.:thumb:

I can really recomend this ride for any adventure rider.

Was a great adventure ride.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Those look awesome, definitely a place I'd love to visit someday. Life just seems too short.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ey Dude, nice, I am jealous, been wanting to go ride Baviaans with the 4x4's, and now you go on do it on the V! Wonder if I'll be able to slip that one past my wife :D

Nice pics, what a beauty our country holds secret from all the people who only stick to the cities and main roads.

Would you say those MT's were worth while? I got about 9k on my current stock Dunlops and I'm itching to pop on some tyres that will make the V less twitchy on gravel roads.

....still jealous.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bob, the MT 60's really did well in the Baviaans. The gravel road are very slippery and I was so glad I did noty have the stock Dunlops on. But you will not get kilo's on them The back tyre is nearly finished after only 4000 km. The front still looks very good. The problem is that the tyres are very soft. I was told that they were actually made for wet weather racing and I can agree they do grip very well in wet weather and as I said they worked like a dream on the gravel roads and in the river crossings.

I am thinking of chaning the back tyre to a Michelin Anakee. Both GS800's had them on during the trip and they worked very well.

And defnitely put the Baviaans on you todo list. It's worth it!

·
Registered
129 Posts
hmm, ok, yeah 4k on a tire is not nearly enough. Makes sense though if it is mainly for wet weather riding, which I prefer to avoid, then the bakkie (pick-up) get's a spin ;)

Will go read up some on the Michelins.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts