Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which is the best battery tender to get? Does it have specifically To be made for motorcycles?
I'm keeping my versys inside my house: call me crazy but my shed is falling apart and probably mice, raccoons opossums and squirrels together with all sorts of other more minute beasts are awaiting to eat at anything I put in there...
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Check out Harborfreight. I have one I got for about $6.00 couple of years ago. It charges at 600maps and cuts off at about 12.7 volts I think. I use it for 3 months continuously on my wife's BMW when we are out of town each year.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42292

Its showing here at $10.00, but there are coupons and sales all the time.

Highly recommend it and price is right.
Machog

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
great info.......TYVM.

side note.....My 09 Versys came pre-wired for a tender.
My dealer; "Macomb Power Sport" in Clinton township did the install. ( they do it on all the bikes they sell). So I have this small, capped plug mounted to the the rear frame all ready for convenient hook-up.
Very thought full and probably not too expensive for the dealer to do on all the bikes they sell....We are in 'the great white north' after all and maintaining a healthy battery is mandatory....unless you enjoy replacing 160 dollar batteries every year.

HOW COOOOOOL (pardon the pun) IS THAT !!!!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
PS

great info.......TYVM.

side note.....My 09 Versys came pre-wired for a tender.
My dealer; "Macomb Power Sport" in Clinton township did the install. ( they do it on all the bikes they sell). So I have this small, capped plug mounted to the the rear frame all ready for convenient hook-up.
Very thought full and probably not too expensive for the dealer to do on all the bikes they sell....We are in 'the great white north' after all and maintaining a healthy battery is mandatory....unless you enjoy replacing 160 dollar batteries every year.

HOW COOOOOOL (pardon the pun) IS THAT !!!!
I will add a photo.....just as soon as I get my bike back from its first scheduled service.....DOH !!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
420 Posts
I like the Battery Minder made by VDC Electronics. My DRZ400 battery is 4-5 years old and still good. Most DRZ400 owning folks who don't use something like a Battery Minder or Battery Tender only seem to get 1-2 years life out of their batteries.
I second that,I favor battery minders over the battery tender brand,they seem to do a better job and I have had two battery tenders go bad for what ever reason

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
I use battery tenders (the Schumaker brand, but my son has used the Harbor Freight one w/ good results), and as I spend 6 months in Alberta and 6 in Arizona, either my KLR and a car (in Alberta) or my Versys (in Arizona) are being "tendered". :goodidea: BTW, the bike batteries are removed from the bike, and in AZ charged in the house in a plastic tub, while back in AB the car battery is IN the car but disconnected to cut risk of fire. :thumb:
Last April when I got back to Alberta my car battery was OK, but the KLR battery had gone dry necessitating replacement. :badidea:
Now what I do is to run a timer set to come on for 1 or 2 hours in 24 w/ the tender(s) plugged thru it, so LESS chance to boil a battery dry. :goodluck:

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Big +1 to the Battery Tender Plus made by Durand. I have two units for three vehicles. works great, wont overchange, and can leave it plugged in for months at a time. They come with both connectors and can be purchased for under $40 when on sale at places like chaparral.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Do you have to disconnect the battery completely?

Hi I have just bought my new (to me) 2007 Versys home.

I bought it and took it straight to the dealer to have the 12,000 km / 7,500 mile service done to it. They report it is in excllent condition, other than the tires needing replacing in the next 1,500 kms / 1,000 miles.

A question about battery tenders (since that is the topic). Do you remove both the positive & negative or do you just remove just the positive leads from the battery (or do you just leave everything connected to the battery)?

I would have never have thought of leaving things connected till I saw the Battery Tender Plus comes with "a quick connect harness for hard to reach areas".

Many thanks

Alan :thanx:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Now I have to make up my own mind.
And purchase one of these options. Thank you.

·
Registered
813 Posts
how often does/should one put the batt. on a charger?
my understanding is that you just do so when the bike will be sitting for extended periods of time (maybe like 5, 6 days...)

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
The correct method is to check the specific gravity of the battery electroltye.
However this would be not practical for us. A fully charged 12V battery should have minimum 12.6V tested with a voltmeter.

Anything between 12.5 and below, battery needs to charged with a low ampereage charger. The battery last longer this way.

When idle, the battery does drain itself slowly. Hence, charging with a charger is a quick way to bring it back full. The bike alternator also do the job but will take a much longer time to bring the battery back to a full charge.

Some info:
http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/articles/battery.htm
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/maintenance/battery.htm

·
Registered
3,188 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Before having that special direct connector plug, used to put the charger's clamps direct to the battery terminal for charging.
Did not disconnect the battery terminals.

:cheers:
Hi ST Lee & Others

Thanks for your comments. My previous expierence with battery chargers was with a 4x4, and I always disconnected the battery first.

I will get a battery tender with the connector and leave it hanging out the side and zip-tie it as suggested.

Cheers
:type:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts