Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Winter is almost upon us again and my riding season will come to a temporary halt for most of the season. I plan to connect my V to my "brand-new, still in the box" battery tender... just don't know how long it should be connected. I don't have to remove the battery from the bike during the process, right?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
748 Posts
mine stays hooked all the time when not riding. use the connectors that come with the tender. My batteries stay in the bike and riding mowers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
x2 leave the battery in the bike with the leads supplied and leave it connected till you are ready to ride again...that is the whole point of the charger.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
As a last resort you could've also read the instructions that came with it!!!:D

:stickpoke:

:devil:
Right. Instructions written by a Chinese worker and translated literally - almost as entertaining as instructions translated literally from Italian. :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right. Instructions written by a Chinese worker and translated literally - almost as entertaining as instructions translated literally from Italian. :D
...did not want to risk losing something in the translation, might just be THE most important bit of the entire instructions-haha. Hence, I am asking for the user's actual experience.

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts
My charger came with a lead that stays connected to the battery and when i need to charge it up i just plug the charger into the connection on the left side of my bike just under the seat.I also have a powerlet lead there also so i can attach a 12V outlet to it and the charger lead i bought a 12V outlet to connect to it also. Just to have incase of need of another outlet. The charger plug has the orange marks on it. So charging the battery is a simple plug in and walk away. Left on the winter setting i have on the charger its just kicks in when needed.

IMG_0062 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I connect my battery tender each month, and leave it on for a couple of days, then take it off. Then, repeat throughout the 5 months of Winter. It seems to work, it's been almost 6 years, and I am still on the original battery.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My 09' sportster was always plugged into a tender when I had it. For whatever reason, those Harley batteries didn't like it when it wasn't. Kinda makes ya wonder if Harley knew this, as it already had a pigtail connected to it when purchased. The tender will keep the battery fresh.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The Battery Tender brand ones have a smart brain that moniters the battery condition and charges accordingly. I plug in when I park the hike for winter and dont touch it. I rarely charge the bike during riding season.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts
My 09' sportster was always plugged into a tender when I had it. For whatever reason, those Harley batteries didn't like it when it wasn't. Kinda makes ya wonder if Harley knew this, as it already had a pigtail connected to it when purchased. The tender will keep the battery fresh.
My buddy had a new battery put in his harley. One day it didn't start so we checked and cleaned all the connections. He got the battery from the harley dealership when he had it in for service. I noticed it was a Drag Speciality battery and also noticed it was made in Vietnam. When he saw that he lost his freaking mind.:D

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts
Once after wintering in AZ, on my return north I found my KLR battery had gone dry while hooked to a battery tender (for 6 months), so it got a new battery.

NOW I always run my tenders thru a 24 hour timer set to come on for ONLY 15 minutes in 24 hours.

My batteries always show full-charge when I pull them off the tenders.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
That's a great idea, Eddie.

There have been a few msgs on ADVRIDER about Battery Tender, Jr's killing batteries when left plugged in for days.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Once after wintering in AZ, on my return north I found my KLR battery had gone dry while hooked to a battery tender (for 6 months), so it got a new battery.

NOW I always run my tenders thru a 24 hour timer set to come on for ONLY 15 minutes in 24 hours.

My batteries always show full-charge when I pull them off the tenders.
Yep - that's why I charge mine 2 days per month during the winter. 6 years and the orginal battery is still going strong.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just another option.

If you have a powerpoint installed on your V to power your devices, you could wire the battery charger to a cigarette plug (male end, available everywhere) and use your powerpoint to charge the battery. That way, you don't even have to remove the seat. Works for me.

Not that the seat is hard to remove... Ha Ha

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I use the small plug/socket that I installed for powering my heated clothing. Works great. It's best to cover the socket when not in use, so it won't corrode. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Slightly off thread but, my bike sleeps in the heated garage during winter
I have had the bike since nov. 2009 and I've never put a tender on my battery

So far so good

Of course, Murphy's law is going to apply this year and my bike won't start in spring ...

LOP

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm just happy that the versys has a big battery even though the engine is relatively small with relatively low compression. I bought the versys after getting fed up with the teeny tiny battery in my 2008 cbr1krr, which has a relatively large engine and relatively high compression. It is not that happy about starting in winter and that's compounded with my use of electric gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I connect my battery tender each month, and leave it on for a couple of days, then take it off. Then, repeat throughout the 5 months of Winter. It seems to work, it's been almost 6 years, and I am still on the original battery.
Me too. I don't like leaving anything plugged in too long

1 - 20 of 47 Posts