Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get the battery out of my 650LT and can not figure out how it comes out. Do I have to take the tank off??

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You shouldn't have to. Maybe the 2015+ is different but My 2012 has the battery under the seat. Pull off the positive and negative leads and tuck them out of the way, the battery should just lift out. What is the issue that you are having?

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
2015 Wiring / Very Short

Had a look at my 2015, the negative wire goes to the engine ground, it is that tight you won't get more than 1/8 inch movement. The battery will clear the seat/ gas tank mounting bracket, however , taking the bolts out of the mounting bracket would give extra room. As it is now, I could remove my battery, just by disconnecting the positive and negative, however I shimmed up my seat mounting bracket by 0.125 using fiberglass, this is in the way, so taking those mounting bolts out would make things much easier.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You shouldn't have to. Maybe the 2015+ is different but My 2012 has the battery under the seat. Pull off the positive and negative leads and tuck them out of the way, the battery should just lift out. What is the issue that you are having?
I'm in the middle of adding electrical farkles and needed to temporarily remove the battery.

The rear gas tank mounting bracket sits over the negative terminal making it impossible to pull out with just your hands.

I finally got it out by using a pair of pliers and a coat hanger. Hooked the negative terminal with the coat hanger and tilted the battery rearward so that it would clear the tank bracket. Then, with the pliers on the positive terminal, lifted the whole thing out. I imagine I could have used two pliers and ditched the coat hanger. I'll have to try that next time.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I'm in the middle of adding electrical farkles and needed to temporarily remove the battery.

The rear gas tank mounting bracket sits over the negative terminal making it impossible to pull out with just your hands.

I finally got it out by using a pair of pliers and a coat hanger. Hooked the negative terminal with the coat hanger and tilted the battery rearward so that it would clear the tank bracket. Then, with the pliers on the positive terminal, lifted the whole thing out. I imagine I could have used two pliers and ditched the coat hanger. I'll have to try that next time.
I normally use a similar method with a vise grip locked to the negative terminal and pull on that. You need to be careful attaching any tool to the pos terminal since if it strikes the frame will short and potentially cause damage to the battery.

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
Ahh, kind of funny, I go out into my garage and look at my 2015, trying to figure out the problem, now that it has been posted, I added one of Eddies tricks, for future use.As to wiring, removing the main fuse or removing the positive battery terminal is all I ever do. I find the positive terminal is easier, take a plastic bag and slip over the connection cable and use a elastic or a couple wraps of tape, this covers the battery terminal , preventing accidental contact with your tools.
You can also use a coat hanger, bent in a U, slide it in on the positive end, slip it / work it / forward by lifting on the positive terminal, once past center , lift the battery out.

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
...I finally got it out by using a pair of pliers and a coat hanger. Hooked the negative terminal with the coat hanger and tilted the battery rearward so that it would clear the tank bracket. Then, with the pliers on the positive terminal, lifted the whole thing out. I imagine I could have used two pliers and ditched the coat hanger. I'll have to try that next time.
onewizard added a pic of what I do w/ the 'lanyard' for easy removal, but I would caution AGAINST using metallic items to remove the battery in case you "short" it and end up w/ acid splashed from a blown-up battery, or fire.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I hate to revive an old thread but in the versys manual it sounds like it's duck soup to pull the battery out of the bike. Totally different in real life --- specially when the garage is at 5 F. Will try it again tonight. Pictures of this process anyone?

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
Picture=1000 Words:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Additionally - I put one of those ID necklace-things (half-inch wide nylon to hold the ID packet) around the battery. Then the NEXT time it has to be removed - it's EASY-PEASY!

Picture=1000 Words

It's long enough that I have it wrapped around the battery twice, so to remove, AFTER disconnecting the battery leads, I just lift w/ one hand while using the other to 'maneuver' the battery....

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
Non Eddie method

The problem is the battery needs to come out vertical, going in gravity works, coming out a different matter. So to get around the problem, if you intend to bring the battery in for storage, couple things to do before you remove it. some pieces of hard board or even a plastic straw and place under the positive and negative nuts. Remove the cables then screw the bolts back into the battery. Without doing this the nuts will fall out and also it will make it difficult to start the thread of the bolt when installing later.
To remove if you aren't prepared like Eddie, use a coat hanger or small vise grips on the negative post, have a putty knife or thin screwdriver on the opposite side of the positive terminal, the idea is to provide some force towards the brake pedal side of the battery while pulling up on the negative terminal. I have also used a pair of channel lock pliers very gently on the acid fill ( nearest the rear of the bike)cover while pulling up on the negative terminal.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I normally use a similar method with a vise grip locked to the negative terminal and pull on that. You need to be careful attaching any tool to the pos terminal since if it strikes the frame will short and potentially cause damage to the battery.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the reason you always (car, truck, motorcycle) remove the negative terminal FIRST is that after doing so, even if you bump a ground object on your vehicle with the positive terminal, you still have not made a complete circuit back to the battery? I'm no electrician, but heck, my grandfather was:smile2:

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
Electrical 101 / Excellent!!

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the reason you always (car, truck, motorcycle) remove the negative terminal FIRST is that after doing so, even if you bump a ground object on your vehicle with the positive terminal, you still have not made a complete circuit back to the battery? I'm no electrician, but heck, my grandfather was:smile2:
Correct, just curious how you would remove the battery with the negative wire still attached, or the positive wire. For the 2015 Versy 650 ABS all the wiring is short, including the engine ground / main ground, I usually recommend removing the positive wire, covering the battery with the electricians secret weapon ( cardboard) and putting a plastic bag over the positive wire . When doing this, use hardboard or a plastic straw under the positive battery nut.

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
...To remove if you aren't prepared like Eddie, use a coat hanger or small vise grips on the negative post, have a putty knife or thin screwdriver on the opposite side of the positive terminal, the idea is to provide some force towards the brake pedal side of the battery while pulling up on the negative terminal. I have also used a pair of channel lock pliers very gently on the acid fill ( nearest the rear of the bike)cover while pulling up on the negative terminal.
I was ALWAYS under the impression that 'pliers' are GENERALLY a tool of LAST resort, and in all the years I've removed/installed batteries, I've NEVER used anything metal near the battery's 'posts'....
READ the following from Skypilot 69 about another SAFE way to remove the battery WITHOUT using anything metal.

I would recommend not using pliers, bent coat hanger, or any other metal object to remove battery.
Simply run a zip tie through the pos. post and one through the neg. post. cinch down leaving a loop large enough to get 2 fingers in each. Has always worked for me on all my bikes.
:thumb: - :thumb:

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would recommend not using pliers, bent coat hanger, or any other metal object to remove battery.
Simply run a zip tie through the pos. post and one through the neg. post. cinch down leaving a loop large enough to get 2 fingers in each. Has always worked for me on all my bikes.
Why haven't I thought of that, it's so obvious once someone tells you about it :grin2:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Nice post. Never knew that there was so much science/engineering in removing a battery. Replaced twice with no problem at all.
Likewise- I have used pliers dozens of times to remove batteries that are difficult, on my lawnmower, bikes etc. Just a matter of being careful and aware. YMMV

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
I was ALWAYS under the impression that 'pliers' are GENERALLY a tool of LAST resort, and in all the years I've removed/installed batteries, I've NEVER used anything metal near the battery's 'posts'....
READ the following from Skypilot 69 about another SAFE way to remove the battery WITHOUT using anything metal.

:thumb: - :thumb:
They don't call us sparkies for nothing>:), amazing how so much time can be spent discussing the removal of the battery, well it looks like this Sunday is ride time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts