Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tomorrow, this (CB500) would be on the short list to try out". WHAT SAY YOU AND WHY? Saying 'another V' may be true (and easy) but try and put a little thought in it. :thanx:

·
Banned
349 Posts
hello also from 916

Something along these lines

to eventually replace my SV1000s daily driver.

I prefer liter class plus sport touring bikes

bought the V on a whim and it was a great buy at the time.

DOH!

·
Registered
354 Posts
...a car. The only way I'd replace my V would be if I just couldn't ride anymore. There are no other bikes that have the combination of compromises that fit MY needs like the 650 Versys. Bikes that get better MPG don't have the power, bikes with more power don't get the MPG, bikes with better handling cost more, bikes that are more comfortable aren't as sporty, bikes that are sportier aren't as comfortable, etc.,etc.,etc.. When in the market for my V, the V Strom was on my list but when sitting on it, it just felt to big and ungainly, besides, I really don't need the 5% more "dirt worthiness" the V Strom offers.

I know the V isn't the perfect bike, it's just the perfect bike for what I want it for.

·
Registered
720 Posts
if i am going to replace the v650, I'll replace it with a v1k.

·
Registered
120 Posts
bikes with more power don't get the MPG
I don't know, my cbr1krr gets about the same mpg as the V when used for commuting and there's simply no comparison power-wise. That said, the V seems to get about the same mileage regardless of how I ride it. I can take the cbr1krr down to 20mpg if I try hard enough.

I did have the different cb500 models on my list, leaning towards the adv styled one. Also the nc700x was on there, higher up the list than the cb500. I wouldn't mind something like the V but with better mpg. However, it would take a big improvement in mpg to make up for the deal I got on the V. I was specifically wanting something as a commuter to alternate with my cbr1krr, the cbr1krr being fussy sometimes about starting when it's cold (it uses the same battery as some 100cc scooters, believe it or not) and to have something a little more capable of taking on forest roads (don't need an actual off road capable bike as I have a kx250 for that).

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm already planning to replace my '09 V with a '14 V.

A DL-1000 would be on the short list too. I wouldn't kick a water-cooled GS out of bed for eating crackers, but I wouldn't spend my own money on one, or at least not on a new one.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Something with a bit more forward lean. I've discovered that the Versys is just a bit too upright for me; considering playing with bars and pegs to fix this. The CBR500R is tempting if it fits; better mpg and aero for the continually windy northern plains. Still can't get the Street Triple R out of my head. If the cost weren't quite so high, I'd love a Sprint ST/GT; be willing to take the mileage hit (which may not even be 5mpg depending upon whom you believe) for something fully faired that the wife would be more comfortable on. 990 SMT if I'm feeling extra impulsive, and there's a part of me that kind of wants a Monster.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Imaginary new Versys 650 or 1000 models with more than new paint options would definately be on the list. Among existing ones, maybe F700GS, Crossrunner X, some comfortable Yamaha with some offroad capabilities or the new V-strom 1000 with another wind shield to help reduce the cartoon road runner appearence. :D

Haven't tried any of them, but would start trying these. Comfortable sporty tourer, good at twisty roads, some offroad capabilities but not enduro, reliable, fuel efficient, good brakes/suspension/traction, doesn't destroy the wallet and as high fun factor as possible given the prevoius attributes.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
612 Posts
replaced my 650 with the V1000. It's the only other bike that I saw or sat on that interested me. If they hadn't come out with it I know I would still have the 650, it was and is a great bike.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Currently the new 1k V-strom

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'd go for a Triumph Street Triple R or maybe a Tiger 800 roadie. New Yamaha FZ-09 has some real first year teething issues, see latest Moto Consumer News (US mag) for their take on it.

Gotta say though, the Versys is a fun, reliable ride.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow - pretty consistent, most love this bike! I'm going to weigh in pretty much the same. It would be hard for me to replace my V but if I had to I would go with a Versys 1000. I love the look and configuration of this machine, the 650, adventure style is a great alter ego to my C14 but I wouldn't be disappointed to have one with more horsies. Choice #2 would be a Ducati Multistrada.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
This will be my next bike but still keeping my Versys but I am biased towards the Ninja, maybe by this time next year if I can convince the wife to upgrade from the 2011 Ninja,

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Already did. Triumph Tiger Explorer. Comfort, convenience, and power, and power, and power. Yes its twice the price too. However, when the ride calls for 300+ mile days theres just no comparison. I do miss how nimble the V is. As soon as I get out of turn and straighten the bike I just go into warp speed and everything is just fine again.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
19,774 Posts
...However, when the ride calls for 300+ mile days theres just no comparison....
I'll agree - WHEN 300+ mile days are on the agenda I'm HAPPILY twisting the throttle on either my '08 or '09 Versys!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
...a car. The only way I'd replace my V would be if I just couldn't ride anymore. There are no other bikes that have the combination of compromises that fit MY needs like the 650 Versys. Bikes that get better MPG don't have the power, bikes with more power don't get the MPG, bikes with better handling cost more, bikes that are more comfortable aren't as sporty, bikes that are sportier aren't as comfortable, etc.,etc.,etc.. When in the market for my V, the V Strom was on my list but when sitting on it, it just felt to big and ungainly, besides, I really don't need the 5% more "dirt worthiness" the V Strom offers.

I know the V isn't the perfect bike, it's just the perfect bike for what I want it for.
+1 :thumb:

I had my eye on the new Yamaha 850 - but Motorcycle Consumer News just did a test on it, and they gave it a mixed review. They did like it better than the Ducati that they compared it to. :confused:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts