Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Versys
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ordered these instead of the ugly plate mount.

Following up on this, I matched the layout of the plate with the holes on the SW-Motech racks and they look like a perfect fit. I think it will work perfectly.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Nice find! It looks like you have a radiator guard and a fender extender also. I don't know how well the grips are, but you may want to update them for some new heated grips.

It almost looks like whoever owned the bike before was setting it up completely for adventure riding due to the industrial upgrades and protection. There is a guy on here called jdrocks who has some great information about customizing these bikes for off road use.

Welcome to the forum! :)

·
Registered
2009 Versys
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks Bill, I agree, it was being set up for ADV riding, though I am going more of a touring ride. The good stuff is there already. I may swap to factory heated grips. The radiator guard is a bonus, the render extender is a flap of rubber that I will replace with a proper extender.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT + various accessories
62 Posts
Yeah, I read about it on here. I hope I can now free it up and make it work properly. Seems that some have done it.
Don't squirt WD40 or any wet lubricant into the lock mechanism itself. With a bit of time, you'll gum up the tumblers (search YouTube for lock tumbler lock to see how they work). Only use graphite, which is dry.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Welcome. I picked up the identical bike with 4044 miles on it 2 weeks ago. I rode it home when I bought it. Runs great. But had the same problem with the gas cap. At the gas station. I was able to wiggle it free. Got home and lubed all the key ports and locking mechanisms for ignition, gas cap and seat lock. Installed lowering blocks for pegs this evening. Will test tomorrow. A buddy is sending me some highway pegs. I’m do something with windshield next week then the seat. Anyway good luck with that machine

·
Super Moderator
22,010 Posts
I have an OEM '15 V650 GREEN gas tank - NO dents - insurance take-off (due to two VERY TINY paint chips) in my garage in BC, but I won't be back there till Apr '23....

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 (non ABS)
1,090 Posts
Does anyone here know where I can get some decals, preferably gel, that has the K or anything in green in 45-50mm oval to fit these?

I bought these and really like them -- a perfect fit 👍🏻

Material property Cookware and bakeware Gas Tints and shades Beige

·
Registered
2009 Versys
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Got the lights bolted on, fun hiding the nut inside the tube of the crash bars.

Replaced the broken turn signal light stalks with new ebay knock-offs. I had to cut off the plugs from the originals and solder them on the new lights. They look great.

Lastly, I used electrolysis to derust the tank. It worked really well. Once done I flushed it with 2-stroke gas to stop the flash rust.

·
Registered
2009 Versys
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Waiting on the fuel pump I decided to dress the plastic parts. They were looking a little dull. I always use this and let is sit several days, then wipe it down again with a clean dry towel.

It will last more than a year outside, even through many washings. It flattens out a little so it isn't super shiny.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts