Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Versys
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up from an old friend. It has sat 4 years basically untouched. My friend wanted to get it going, but couldn't get the gas cap to open. This is a known issue, and can be very difficult to open as the tabs corrode.

Anyhow, a deal was struck and I went over and got it. The bike is basically a barn find, with cobwebs on it, and 10 year old tires.

Loaded up and brought it home.

Washed off the dust and spider webs.

Took all of 5 minutes to get the cap off. I used a small angled pry bar and worked it into the cap and it popped off. You can see that the tabs are corroded and are well frozen.

I popped in a battery and it lit up and turned over freely. The tank is empty, and rusty, and the fuel pump is not hooked up. But all in all it looks like a decent project.

Overall it looks great.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
but couldn't get the gas cap to open. This is a known issue, and can be very difficult to open as the tabs corrode.
I live 10 minutes from the ocean, some serious corrosion here in the air. In the winter Ill give the whole key-lock mechanism a spritz of WD40 as my bike sits. For the other 9 months...As Fastoman once stated, fill your gas up high enough to immerse the gas cap lock in the gas. It keeps it clean and moving real smooth, great fix!

·
Registered
2009 Versys
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some more details.

Mileage is low:

SW-Motech goodies:

SS Brake lines:

Are these factory grip heaters?

Seat Concepts seat, I have the original and foam:

Datel meter:

Aftermarket levers and home made guards:

Aftermarket foot pegs:

Is this a factory sidestand?

I also have the factory screen and a tinted touring screen.

·
Registered
2009 Versys
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live 10 minutes from the ocean, some serious corrosion here in the air. In the winter Ill give the whole key-lock mechanism a spritz of WD40 as my bike sits. For the other 9 months...As Fastoman once stated, fill your gas up high enough to immerse the gas cap lock in the gas. It keeps it clean and moving real smooth, great fix!
Yeah, I read about it on here. I hope I can now free it up and make it work properly. Seems that some have done it.

·
Registered
2009 Versys
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some more details.

Mileage is low:

SW-Motech goodies:

SS Brake lines:

Are these factory grip heaters?

Seat Concepts seat, I have the original and foam:

Datel meter:

Aftermarket levers and home made guards:

Aftermarket foot pegs:

Is this a factory sidestand?

I also have the factory screen and a tinted touring screen.

·
Premium Member
16,405 Posts
That bash plate or rock guard is an Algard. Was made in Slovenia for awhile then a forum member here made about 10 clones. Very desirable and hard to find. I had one and really liked it. You can get Keyless Gas Caps off eBay cheap. I've used one on my last 3 bikes... kawasaki versys 650 keyless gas caps: Search Result | eBay

·
Premium Member
16,405 Posts
The side stand has been cut down and has a MotoWerk Flatfoot on it. Has the bike been lowered ????

Those are aftermarket heated grips.

·
Registered
2009 Versys
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the cap apart and found it is broken beyond repair, no surprise. I probably broke off the nub why I pried it out. Tons of corrosion.

This is the tool I used to get it our, quite easy actually.

Here is the new one I just ordered for $30. Hope it fits and I can swap out the key tumblers. The dimensions are good.

My key tumbler:

·
Registered
2009 Versys
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For the luggage racks, I have a pair of new Givi top case mount plates laying around. I think I will bolt them to the racks, and use these for panniers, maybe even paint an accent portion on them in matching green.

Here are the racks I will bolt or weld on.

·
Registered
2009 Versys
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got a decent shot of the tank rust. Going to tackle that after I get back from vacation.

I have a set of late model BMW R1200GS grip guards. They don't guard much but the wind, but I think they will be useful and look good. I need to trim down the bar end weight, and then fabricate a mount for the other end, but I like them.

·
Premium Member
16,405 Posts
1 - 20 of 57 Posts