Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to shorten the length, end to end, of the handlebar assembly and it can be done by getting rid of those gawd-awful barends that are as long as pinnochio's nose! Need it all shorter for constant lane-splitting!

Any advice on ditching the barends or getting them much smaller? Anyone know what metric size and length is the fitting? How about a handguard recommendation that does NOT need a barend also?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Lane splitting is illegal in Texas, you know... :D:D:D:D

As far as the bar ends go, you can remove them altogether, if you want, but they do dampen the vibrations to your hands. Now the Versys has a fairly smooth motor, so you may not even notice them gone. If you take them off & feel you want them back, there are a couple of things you can do.

One is to actually use a hacksaw & cut the ends of the handle bars themselves. A lot of dirt bikers do this, especially for deep woods riding.

Second, there are quiet a few different after market bar end weights available in many different sizes.

And third, you can actually replace the handle bars with thinner ones. One of the guys on one of the Versys forums I visit, actually used ATV handle bars & love them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice...any idea on the metric size for the stock barend bolts? I will be ordering them with everything else to install over Christmas when the biek comes in, so need to buy the right thing, the first time.

Yeah, I've received only 3 lanesplitting tickets in my lifetime...good thing the bike is being shipped down to me in Colombia, where lanesplitting is just the way you drive! I would say I split an average of 2 miles of traffic a day!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good idea and nice, just don't have any spare Kawy barends sitting around. Really interested in handguards that just run a bolt and little to no barend but not sure which ones will work. Been looking at this series, either the first ones or the last ones with the flashers:

http://www.zeta-racing.com/controls/armor/index.html#anchor-xcf

Anyone explain to me the replacement bar end adapter on the last ones with the flashers? Will they mount flush to the grips like the first ones or be mounted away from the grip spaced by the silver piece?

·
Registered
624 Posts
The Acerbis handguards will bolt right up. In this application there is a rubber insert that is provided with the kit and makes installation a snap. The barends are discarded completely. You can find them at www.motosport.com, just search acerbis.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Good idea and nice, just don't have any spare Kawy barends sitting around. Really interested in handguards that just run a bolt and little to no barend but not sure which ones will work. Been looking at this series, either the first ones or the last ones with the flashers:

http://www.zeta-racing.com/controls/armor/index.html#anchor-xcf

Anyone explain to me the replacement bar end adapter on the last ones with the flashers? Will they mount flush to the grips like the first ones or be mounted away from the grip spaced by the silver piece?
I think you mean the expandable insert that goes in the handlebar end to secure the handguard.
I installed the Zeta bend-type handguards without bar end weights because they are not needed with my tapered aluminum handlebars which cancel out most vibrations.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Invader, what model tapered handlebars did u fit? I would really prefer not to have to machine the clamps. I've seen the 7/8 fat bars, just wonder if they absorb as much vibration as the originals.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The Acerbis handguards will bolt right up. In this application there is a rubber insert that is provided with the kit and makes installation a snap. The barends are discarded completely. You can find them at www.motosport.com, just search acerbis.
In all Acerbis kits or a certain one?

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Invader, what model tapered handlebars did u fit? I would really prefer not to have to machine the clamps. I've seen the 7/8 fat bars, just wonder if they absorb as much vibration as the originals.
1-1/8" tapered aluminum handlebars are even better than 7/8" aluminum bars at absorbing all vibrations. I have a Tag Metals T2 1019 SZ High (104 mm, 57 mm sweep) tapered bar mounted with a Moose Racing 30 mm (1.2") riser/adapter. It can be installed easily with Rox adjutsable pivoting riser/adapter in the stock handlebar clamp without machining anything. Available with 2" rise, you could use a lower handlebar to retain original height: CR Hi (95 mm (3.74") rise/62 sweep) or RM Hi (95 mm (3.74") rise/52 mm sweep.

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/showitems.cgi?subcat_id=268

http://www.tagmetals.cc/mx/productdetails.php?id=t2bats

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I need to shorten the length, end to end, of the handlebar assembly and it can be done by getting rid of those gawd-awful barends that are as long as pinnochio's nose!
I haven't verified it with a straight-edge, but I think the extra length of those weights helps to keep the side cowlings from touching if your bike drops.

From personal experience, I know the cowlings didn't touch when I had a zero speed drop. Also, the bar ends have a rubber damper between them and the handlebar. I'm betting this helps with handlebar vibration as well as adding cushioning during impacts.

Personally, I'm worried about losing them to install handguards... I think the levers will gain protection, but I'll have more cowling damage afterwards. :(

·
Registered
83 Posts
I put on a set from my old ZRX...they are smaller.

Hey Hooligan, how do you like those grips? I have been thinking about getting some.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.