Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has tried the bar snake. If you have what type did you use? I am going to try this and need to know the bar size and if they are aluminum or steal. Any ideas? I am also going to pick up some crg mirrors. Anyone have these?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Had never heard of it till your post. I googled it and it looks interesting. Would be nice to hear if it works or not on the V.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had a Bar Snake in my 2000 Husky SM610 Motard. Single thumper. Got a good bit of vibe at the bars and this helped out. Worth the price. I don't remember the size I used tho'.

Thought about one for the Versys but with this double thumper I seem to get more vibes at the pegs and not the handlebars. If you do get one just remember to trim it if you have or might think you will ever want bar ends. Once the Snake is in..........it ain't movin'!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Our stock bars are steel and it's a 7/8

·
Registered
52 Posts
tough time

If the Snake Bar feeds through the handlebars..... your going to have a hard time! .... the ends of handlebars are welded closed (just threads for bar weights at ends)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've put 14k miles on my 2011 (including a 19 day trip across the country and back) and haven't noticed enough handlebar vibrations to worry about. Save your money and farkle something else...

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've put 14k miles on my 2011 (including a 19 day trip across the country and back) and haven't noticed enough handlebar vibrations to worry about. Save your money and farkle something else...
+1 except 24k on mine but no trip cross country and back. It doesn't have a vibes problem.

Bar snake would be tricky with the stock steel bars because they have a threaded insert at each end. I vaguely recall bar snake may make a liquid product for bars like that?

On my EX650 I used Manic Salamander bar end weights, and they really helped with the vibes there. They're heavier than stock and solid mounted instead of rubber mounted. The stock weights vibrate a lot more than the grips to, and can cause numbness if your hands are touching them when you ride. The Manic Salamander weights do not.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I've driven a few bikes that will make your hands go numb on a long ride but the Versys is not one of those bikes. While you can feel some vibration it is not a problem for me as far as comfort goes.

If you do feel you have excessive vibration be sure to do a throttle body vacuum synch. This will noticeably reduce vibration if it is off. Normally this should be done annually and immediately after a valve adjustment. As the valves wear the synch goes off.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not so much noticeable on the V, but tire pressure will affect vibrations. And, it is not what I thougt. On my small 250 prior to my V, when my tire pressures would get low, I would get very pronounced vibrations. Took me a little while to figure this out, and only after I checked the pressures (they were low) and I pumped them up to spec did I realize the annoying vibrations had gone completely.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I used one on an XS650. I believe there's a better solution: fill the bars with lead shot. It's cheaper and works better.
Did that on my KLR's stock bars, helped a bit. When I put the Pro Tapers bars on I didn't fill them as the vibs weren't bad all.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
No need for any gimmicks and added weight with tapered aluminum handlebars which are also stronger and lighter... I don't even feel the need for bar-end weights with my Tag Metals tapered aluminum handlebars (with 7/8" to 1-1/8" fat-bar adapter such as Rox) and Zeta hand guards. No numbing vibrations to speak of, and mirror image is clear. Aluminum absorbs much more vibration than steel.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I never noticed vibration in the bars until a comparison ride on an FJR convinced me that I should replace the OEM weights.

I had removed the Zeta XC handguards because the position of the levers creates a change in the lever ergos that don't accommodate my XL+ hands. Never noticed vibration until FJR comparison, so I guess it's not severe. I have owned and ridden Brit parallel twins and singles so I know severe. OEM weights will likely be an improvement.

Shameless plug: see my post under For Trade in regards to swap for Zeta XC.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts