Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tempted to get bar risers for my bike, but I'm curious if anyone knows or has noticed a change in the felt vibration in their hands? My index and middle finger on my right hand tend to go numb in less than 10 minutes most of the time. I'm guessing its partially due to the angle of my arms/wrists as well as posture. If I let that hand drop while at a stop light, the numbness goes away, but comes back pretty quickly. I have nerve issues so it may just be something I have to live with. After about 15 minutes of steady riding, I don't notice it because I can't feel those fingers anymore, but it hasn't seemed to affect my ability to stop when I've had to.

I understand that Rox gives you 2 ways to "adjust" the bars while something like Moto Werk moves the bars more back and up, but doesn't really allow much "adjustment" to the angle. Thoughts? Suggestions? I have a 2009 650.

Thanks in advance and I apologize if this has been covered like so many other topics like seats and stators.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have the combo of the 2" ROX Pivot risers AND the Motoworks spacer. They work perfectly and give you ample adjustment possibilities.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about getting some Grab-ons. https://www.grabongrips.com They work for me.

Randy
Interesting idea, but I have Oxford heated grips and I can't imagine riding without them. Since I plan to do some "dual sport" riding on my V, I need to be able to stand and not break my wrist with the throttle. Kind of hard to stand with factory handlebar setup and keep up speed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Lol, not much need for heated grips in Southeast Texas. I keep forgetting that most of ya'll live in cold county.
Randy

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have the Rox on my 2015 V650. I used to get numb hand, especially the right hand. The angle of the bars is part of the problem, which can't really be fixed without bending or replacing the bar itself. Another contributing factor could be the angle of your elbow and/or wrist. I found it seems to help if I wrap my hand forward before grabbing the throttle so that my wrist is back to a neutral position when riding. I've wondered too if a too tight glove through the wrist area might contribute?

Anyhow, I don't seem to have nearly as much numbness problem at all after putting on the risers. But I think there are multiple factors.

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts
...I understand that Rox gives you 2 ways to "adjust" the bars while something like Moto Werk moves the bars more back and up, but doesn't really allow much "adjustment" to the angle....
I have 2" ROX RISERS on each of my Vs. You have INFINITE ways to adjust them, as opposed to the MotoWerk ones which ONLY move the bars UP and TOWARDS you on the same angle as the factory "bar-riser".

For me - I have the bars DIRECTLY above the OEM position, which is GREAT for riding standing on the 'pegs.

...The angle of the bars is part of the problem, which can't really be fixed without bending or replacing the bar itself....
Try VERY slightly changing the bar-angle by rotating them a SMALL amount either away from, or towards you. As little as 5 degrees will make a HUGE difference!

Learned that years ago on BIG RED, my '08.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the combo of the 2" ROX Pivot risers AND the Motoworks spacer. They work perfectly and give you ample adjustment possibilities.
Got a similar riser on order (not a Rox) . Just wonder if cable length is ok and no special adjustments needed?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ok I just found the Rox website and they say stock cables work ok on the Kawasaki Versys 650.

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You gotta love the last pic in the set on the ebay link. Ape hangers in background, bar risers in foreground. LMAO.

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts
Got a similar riser on order (not a Rox) . Just wonder if cable length is ok and no special adjustments needed?
ROX is right. OEM cables work great!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rox risers

Do the Rox risers for the Versys 1000 fit the 650 also ???

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts
Do the Rox risers for the Versys 1000 fit the 650 also ???
As long as the ROX RISERS are 7/8" at BOTH positions (can be BIGGER as long as you have the small 'fillers' that bring it down to 7/8) - YES.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have 3 1/2" Rox risers on my 15' (you have to re-route the clutch cable) and foam Grip Buddies and it is quite comfortable.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like my Oxford heated grips so I don't know that the foam grips would work well in the winter/colder times, but still a nice idea to consider when hits warm. Hadn't thought of that before.

JimK, let me know how those hold up after you drop the bike on them. I've read horror stories from the cheap ones on amazon from drops, but not one bad thing about Rox. I'm willing to spend the extra cost for piece of mind.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Have you looked into a crampbuster? I run one on mine and it all but eliminates any numbness or cramping of my throttle hand by letting me keep a looser grip on the throttle. It's also super cheap too.

If anything the vibration on the 1st gen V pretty much breaks you of having a death grip on the bars haha, I was annoyed by it when I first got mine having had a 4 cylinder bike previously, but now I don't even notice it, the peg vibration is another story though and is what is pushing me to want to upgrade.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts