Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the bar-end of my left handlebar while installing Barkbusters on my 09 V and in the process the whole inside twisted out. It appears the bar-end nut assembly was glued in to the handlebars? Is this stock or did the previous owner glue this in? After reviewing other threads, I see some members talking about welded bar-ends. Should I glue the nut-thing back in or find a better solution? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I realize the nut on the whole thing is kind of self tightening, I am just wondering if there is a more permanent solution.

·
Super Moderator
1,484 Posts
I don't know what type if bar end is on a mk1 versys. Mk2 2010-2014 have a welded nut on the end of the bar. The bar end just screws into this.

From looking at the pic you have an expanding bar end, used on bar that has open or hollow ends.

The cone is the nut and as you tighten the bolt it get squeezed into the plug and the plug expands holding the bar end in place. If the plug is very loose fitting then maybe you have incorrect diameter plug for you bar thickness.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
That's probably why it's taped up. If you still have the original steel handlebars, original owner removed the welded in nuts to install barkbusters, then removed them to reinstall the bar ends, but likely used a thinner adapter normally used for thick wall aluminum handlebars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. I previously thought the handlebars were stock but what Invader said makes a lot of sense. I am guessing the previous owner pulled bark busters off or something before trading it in.

I was able to make the expanding mechanism that is pictured work and the Barkbusters are installed.

A note about the Barkbusters- I ordered them from Twisted Throttle and they came with missing hardware and some incorrect hardware... annoying.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello Crusader26!

I'm sorry to hear your Barkbusters kit was missing some hardware.

Please give our customer service department a ring and they will get the proper bits out to you. 855 255 5550

Cheers!

-Twisted Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts