Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a pair of Storms.

I need mount inserts but cant seem to find what size anywhere on the net. Is it 18mm?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, or maybe it did?

I'm the 3rd owner. It had blue bar ends when I bought it.. and then one morning I went out and noticed one was missing and I touched the other one and it just fell out. So maybe the last owner replaced the stock black ones (from my google image 2009 V research). But now the bar has an empty hole in the end..

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
maybe you have an aftermarket bar then. did you already buy the storms? a lot of the bark buster copies come with inserts. or you can just measure the inside diameter of the hole and order the right size insert.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
maybe you have an aftermarket bar then. did you already buy the storms? a lot of the bark buster copies come with inserts. or you can just measure the inside diameter of the hole and order the right size insert.
I just installed my Bbuster yesterday and they did come with all the option possible (for any type of connection with the handle barend)

But I did buy them a few years back, so maybe they don't furnish all the connecting option anymore

On mine I had also the bar end weight included (different from the kawi oem one)

LOP

·
Registered
638 Posts
My recently installed Acerbis hand guards came with some compression inserts, but my '09 still had the original M8 inserts that I think are welded in.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Think these would work?
Barkbusters Bar End Mounting Kit 18mm Plastic Insert - RevZilla

Yea, my BB storms didnt come with the inserts.
Well .... If you don't have the welded bar end means probably that you have aftermarket handlebar
So you need to figure out the inner diameter of the bar to see if what you are proposing will fit or not

This being said, those look a lot like what came in my kit except for the fact that mine are all metal, not rubber/plastic ...

My 2 cents

LOP

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got em, only they were metal, no plastic like the pic showed. Not sure if I should have expanded the nut a little before inserting, or if I need a 20mm.. bc I lost it down in the bars, haha.

Time to get a tiny yet strong magnet on a string! :surprise:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
You can make your own quite easily from stuff laying around the house.
If interested I can post up a description and a crappy hand drawn picture.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha, thanks- would like to see the crappy hand drawn pic for fun. Very generous of you, let me see if these new ones work before you spend your time.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
No problem. It should be noted that I used this setup in an aftermarket aluminum bar that had a smaller internal diameter. With a larger ID you would have to change the size of the hardware.

I used 4 inch long 1/4-20 stainless steel bolts because that's what I had on hand. And they are long enough to reach through the factory bar ends.

I used 1/4 inch ID fuel line approx 2 inches long. You will have to experiment with thickness.

The SS hex nuts may fit in the bars as is or they may have to be filed down slightly to fit snugly.
The nut closest to the bar end is drilled 1/4 inch to act as a spacer so the bar end does not sag.

The purpose of the lock washers is to grab the nut and to keep them from spinning but they not be necessary.

When tightening if it starts binding up too early just tap the screw head with a hammer.

This setup works excellent and does not come loose. I prefer it to anything I've seen pre made.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts