Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

i'm putting some new tires on, is it needed to get them spinned balanced from a proffesional tire store, or bike shop ?

i have a friend with a hand spin balancer, is that good enough ?

also, are there diferent types of weights that are best to use, like self stick, ect....

thx,
dave

·
Registered
739 Posts
IME, as long as the hand spin balancer has low enough friction and it is red (fastest color), it will be just as good as a professional balance... where a young punk who doesn't give a hoot will do it.
Stick-on weights are fine and convenient, though some people do not like them for the marks the adhesive may leave. Nothing a little Goo-Gone can't fix, I think.
Crimp-on weights work well too.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ride-On in the tire ,eliminates the weights and balances the tire throughout its life. It also will seal a puncture.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx guys for your info.

i like to hear more about the balancing stuff that goes in the tires.
any cons to this stuff ?

dave

·
Registered
66 Posts
tire balancing

i have been mounting my own tires for years. i started balancing them with a home made balancer. about 10 tires ago i tried not balancing them. and have not had any balance problems with any of the different brands that i have mounted since. i bought a new bike that had a little out of balance feel at about 40 mph. i marked the spokes and removed two very large weights on the front wheel. no difference up to 100 mph. just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Ride-On in the tire ,eliminates the weights and balances the tire throughout its life. It also will seal a puncture.
Does anyone have the length of time it lasts? I used a similar product on my mountain bicycle, but got tired of having to break the tire down every 3 months to add more. It dries out.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i have been mounting my own tires for years. i started balancing them with a home made balancer. about 10 tires ago i tried not balancing them. and have not had any balance problems with any of the different brands that i have mounted since. i bought a new bike that had a little out of balance feel at about 40 mph. i marked the spokes and removed two very large weights on the front wheel. no difference up to 100 mph. just my thoughts.
:interesting:Glad to see this comment. I thought I was the only one out there that has stopped balancing tires. Like you, I've had no problems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've never had good luck with shop balancing. I used to own a Marc Parnes balancer and was extremely happy with it. Easy to use, very well built.
I have also used Dyna Beads and have been very happy with them as well.

I haven't been as lucky as the poster above, and both methods I used made a huge difference.

Rub

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I replace my tires without special tools and balance them perfectly by hand. With the original weighs off, I just rotate the greased axle in the wheel lightly back and forth to get the heavy spot at the bottom, then add just enough weigh by trial on the opposide side to cancel it out. I can then find the slightest additional out of balance spot and adjust it as well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You can reuse Ride-on when you change tires. I have reused it on one bike 5-6 times already. Never had a problem.If I change a tube tire with Ride-On in it, I will save the tube to put the Ride-On in a tubless tire later.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
i like the idea of the puncture resistance of the Ride-on, but that is the last place i would want to add weight to my bike.

i'm guessing you couldn't tell any differnce after you added it, but it does effect things, especially out at the end of a spinning object.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If you look on other forums, like sport-touring.net, you'll find links that state the dynabeads are bogus...same with the liquids. Do what you gotta do.
My pref is to balance the wheel with the tire off, then rebalance it with the tire mounted, not touching the permanent wheel weights, only adding for the tire. I find this uses the least amt. of weight and gives a nice balance. Dynamic balancing is the best, but I'm a home mounter and too lazy to drive to a shop.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Funny how all the reports I've read of Dyna Beads being a rip off, bogus or 'snake oil' have been written by people who have never used them.

Rub

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just changed a tire on a V-Max that had 9 oz. of weights on it, so i don't think 6 to 9 oz. of ride on will make any diference. Everyone I have changed tires for, and its near a hundred, say the tires feel better then any shop has ever done with weights. Guess it's like oil changes your going to do what you used to anyway.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I don't believe in putting gorp in tires, and none of the race teams, auto companies or tire manufacturers do, either. I have a Coats bubble balancer, and I can balance a wheel in about 10 minutes, and it's more accurate, quicker and cheaper than beads or gorp.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts