Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to take a detour on the way home from work, and, to my tired, addled mind, thought VT 17 would be a nice, scenic way back. I heard it was really twisty, but I never figured it was that twisty....

Long story short, took a curve too fast, braked and throttled down, but still went off the side. managed to slow but dumped the bike at 5miles an hour or so. Right cowling cracked, windshield abraded, mirror scratched and luggage rack twisted. That'll teach me to corner aggressively tired and laden with gear.

On a side note, anyone know where to get an OEM right cowling for less than $160 ish? Bikebandit's price, I should probably check with my dealer but i bet it will be more.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks Miguelito, but it has some minor damage. I kinda want a new part to match the rest of the bike, as this was a is '09 (2kish miles!). I'll hunt around on e-bay and see if anyone else here is selling a part. I could always get that one and repaint it (plan to paint my V35 side case accent panels, even more so now that the right side is 'sanded' by the ground :D)

thanks to mcampana too! any crash you can walk(and ride!) away from is a good one

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to add: now that the bike is down, it's time to farkle! Thinking about a Givi topcase, with or without LED's, and new mirrors, probably integrated ones with LED's, just a question of wiring. Then there's a radiator guard, gravel guard, hugger...oh my...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ronayers.com has a brand new cowling for $145. They are always cheaper than bike bandit. Where in vt are you. I'm just outside of Stowe.
-

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in Berlin, just outside Montpelier. I work in Essex Jct.Just ordered that cowling from ronayers. even with shipping it's cheaper than bikebandit. awesome :D. Hopefully it won't take too long, but the weather forecast is bleak for the next week at least. Ride in my cage and plan my farkling I guess :D

·
Registered
421 Posts
Might want to try ProCaliber.com for cheap oem parts?:confused:
They usually have the lowest prices!:goodluck:

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Glad your okay, and the bike came away with mostly cosmetic damage. Have fun farkleing

·
Registered
901 Posts
As stated the bike can be fixed people are not always so easy to repair. Glad your okay.

I do the same thing on nice days, try to find the longest ride home. Found a pretty good one the other day....nice long sweeping curves along the CT river. I'm getting cautious in my old age, I go slow in the tight curves but I don't care because I still enjoy the ride...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As stated the bike can be fixed people are always so easy to repair. Glad your okay.

I do the same thing on nice days, try to find the longest ride home. Found a pretty good one the other day....nice long sweeping curves along the CT river. I'm getting cautious in my old age, I go slow in the tight curves but I don't care because I still enjoy the ride...
I was wearing full gear, fieldshear summer jacket and rain pants, boots and of course my Shoei RF1100 helmet. Only came out of it with minor bruising, mainly my wallet on my thigh. It's not gonna stay there anymore :p. I think it's mainly a factor of my young age that I ride aggressively. Good life lesson to look before you leap :D.

I should take pics of the road, or make a GoPro vid of it. It's seriously winding :cheers:

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's the App Gap, I think someone already has a bunch of ride pictures for it. I went through there in the car a couple of weeks ago and the frost heaves ( and some snow ) was still there. May be a bit before I venture up through there on the bike....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's the App Gap, I think someone already has a bunch of ride pictures for it. I went through there in the car a couple of weeks ago and the frost heaves ( and some snow ) was still there. May be a bit before I venture up through there on the bike....
hey there, good now I have a name for it :D. No snow when I went, a few frost heaves (Now that I think about it there was a patch of snow on the side, right before the highest point).

on a side note, does your V have black square hardbags with red trim? I saw a blue V a week ago in the 5 Corners jct.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update, figured i'd use this instead of a new thread:

Bent the Givi sideracks back into serviceable shape, though the connector bar is not where it used to be (in the little round gap right under the tail light, but a little down, maybe 1/8"). Plan on installing a toprack, so that might correct for the PLX447KIT 'ears' being bent somehow.

Put the OEM windshield on, but the instrument panel is offset to the left (accident damage was from the right-front), but the headlight looks centered. Hard to tell, since the ignition keyswitch throws my sense of symmetry off. Plan to use a friend's garage to set up the beam and torque the panel/windshield bracket to the right a bit, while keeping the beam centered.

Surprised that the panel bracket was even damaged, the cowling mounting point is cracked at that point, so the force should ahve been distributed into it. I'm guessing when my Givi windscreen mushed in, it torqued the panel around. Will update on Sunday when I have the chance to work on it in more work-conducive surroundings. Wish the V had a centerstand!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Good to hear you are getting it back in shape, I am avoiding the Gap this year after running it with the car, too many cracks/bumps to make it any fun. If you need a garage to do light work in, let me know. I've got a decent garage with all the tools you would ever need. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks, outdoorvt! I'm bringing it in to a friend's garage this Sunday, weather permitting. He's also likewise kitted out with tools. But I'll keep you in mind :D

Found out my handlebar's a little bent (just loose on the mount I think, don't think forks are twisted). Caused me to lean forward with the left hand, making the bike likewise lean at an angle, going straight. Probably have to get the whole bike centered then check wheel to fork, fork to handlebar, then headlight subframe to the rest of the bike's centerline.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts