Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I returned from my last ride and was cleaning the chain, I noticed one section was frozen and not moving. On closer look, it seems a rock or something capable of bending metal made a perfect strike on the chain, jamming that link. I was on gravel a bit my last few rides. I can't feel it when moving but can definitely see the chain jump a bit when rotating the wheel on a stand.

I guess it's just bad luck and time for a new one? I could bend the link back but it will never be back to factory spec. Ironically, the damaged link is the red one that indicates exactly halfway from the master link.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bicycle part

· Registered
2020 Gen3 650
169 Posts
Rest of the chain looks good, so you could probably press that one out and replace it with a master link like Dmitry said. You'll have to look more closely, though, to make sure the adjacent links aren't deformed by this. The master link would only replace the outer links (the ones painted red and bent in this pic) but the rollers on the adjacent links look to have more side-to-side play in them than the ones outside the affected area.

· Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
832 Posts
Rest of the chain looks good, so you could probably press that one out and replace it with a master link like Dmitry said. You'll have to look more closely, though, to make sure the adjacent links aren't deformed by this. The master link would only replace the outer links (the ones painted red and bent in this pic) but the rollers on the adjacent links look to have more side-to-side play in them than the ones outside the affected area.
Agree looking at the one just under and maybe the one under that, picture cuts it off, for sure lost o rings, maybe new chain time

· Registered
69 Posts
When I returned from my last ride and was cleaning the chain, I noticed one section was frozen and not moving. On closer look, it seems a rock or something capable of bending metal made a perfect strike on the chain, jamming that link. I was on gravel a bit my last few rides. I can't feel it when moving but can definitely see the chain jump a bit when rotating the wheel on a stand.
Holy molly, that's serious damage! What kind of rock can do that? It does look like several links are bent (some slightly). I would replace the chain.

· Registered
360 Posts

I guess it's just bad luck and time for a new one? I could bend the link back but it will never be back to factory spec. Ironically, the damaged link is the red one that indicates exactly halfway from the master link.

View attachment 192146
Wow, that stinks, same thing happened to @16VGTIDave Replace the chain, especially if it has lots of miles. Safety first. Nice going on the chain maintenance and catching that.

· Registered
2022 Honda CB500X, ex Versys 650
67 Posts
I shutter to think how a Master Link pin would have performed in the same situation. The circlip would have just flown off.
It's obvious why OEM's have moved away from those ML pins onto pressed/staked pins for the last few decades. Just like external glued in plugs in tyres.
Emergency use only, just to crawl slowly home, in my opinion.

Rob.

· Premium Member
2022 Versys X 300
212 Posts
I shutter to think how a Master Link pin would have performed in the same situation. The circlip would have just flown off.
It's obvious why OEM's have moved away from those ML pins onto pressed/staked pins for the last few decades. Just like external glued in plugs in tyres.
Emergency use only, just to crawl slowly home, in my opinion.

Rob.
Been riding since I was 7, owned/flipped more bikes than I can recall, been wrenching on them 10yrs this year...never seen one fail. I install clip style master link chains several times a month. Having a chain that separates and comes off makes my life so much easier at times.

· Registered
8,174 Posts

View attachment 192146
What chain is that, and who installed it? That's not riding damage from a rock. It was screwed up upon installation when they tried to press the master link on.

· Registered
360 Posts
What chain is that, and who installed it? That's not riding damage from a rock. It was screwed up upon installation when they tried to press the master link on.
Take a close look at the inboard plate that is bent. There is clearly deformation on the inside edge in a position where it makes sense given how the plate is bent. Also look at the outside plate immediately below the red colored plate. Looks like some damage there too. Finally, there is definitely a wider gap in the bottom roller and plates in the red link. I can't imagine how a chain tool could do that, on the other hand whatever did do that was, unfortunately, in exactly the right spot.

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the ideas/observations. I feel I owe everyone an explanation :). First- don't worry, I'll be removing this chain.

@twowheeladdict the paint was placed there by my daughter, who likes to "help" me in the garage. I had painted my master link and she wanted to also do some painting so I figured the halfway point would work:) So the red link is purely coincidence.

@invader the chain is a master-link type; I inspected it then installed it with new 15/43 sprockets back in March of 2021 (with a proper chain tool) preparing for a longer ride. Chain has been flawless since then; the master-link is still in perfect shape, as is the remainder of the chain. I check the chain after each ride, and keep the slack adjusted properly. So... definitely not an install error but what I'm thinking is a random, perfectly placed impact from something. No drops or other mishaps since the install. The bummer is the chain and sprockets only have about 8k on them... I've been thinking of going back to stock for the rear sprocket; maybe now is a good time.

One thought: the chain is a JT chain. Not the lowest priced chain but definitely not a premium-priced chain. I've used their sprockets for years with no issues... but maybe the chains they sell are a different breed.

Or maybe my daughter came in and performed some "maintenance" hahaha. Looks like someone took a pry-bar to that link.

· Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 (non ABS)
1,232 Posts
Thanks for all of the ideas/observations. I feel I owe everyone an explanation :). First- don't worry, I'll be removing this chain.

@twowheeladdict the paint was placed there by my daughter, who likes to "help" me in the garage. I had painted my master link and she wanted to also do some painting so I figured the halfway point would work:) So the red link is purely coincidence.

@invader the chain is a master-link type; I inspected it then installed it with new 15/43 sprockets back in March of 2021 (with a proper chain tool) preparing for a longer ride. Chain has been flawless since then; the master-link is still in perfect shape, as is the remainder of the chain. I check the chain after each ride, and keep the slack adjusted properly. So... definitely not an install error but what I'm thinking is a random, perfectly placed impact from something. No drops or other mishaps since the install. The bummer is the chain and sprockets only have about 8k on them... I've been thinking of going back to stock for the rear sprocket; maybe now is a good time.

One thought: the chain is a JT chain. Not the lowest priced chain but definitely not a premium-priced chain. I've used their sprockets for years with no issues... but maybe the chains they sell are a different breed.

Or maybe my daughter came in and performed some "maintenance" hahaha. Looks like someone took a pry-bar to that link.
1) good luck with the chain replacement !
2) It is awesome that your daughter wants shop time with you-- cherish those moments! (I'm sure you do)
3) If your daughter can do that to a chain ... you won't have to worry about her taking care of herself later 💪😳😂

· Super Moderator
22,240 Posts

· Registered
6,096 Posts

Thanks for the additional information. Have any enemies? Parked the bike somewhere that would piss off some sociopath?

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@JT in GA thanks; it'll make for a nice night in the garage. My daughter is a force for sure; she's in far better shape than I am.
@twowheeladdict My enemies live far from me or aren't mortal men.
@fasteddiecopeman I agree. New chain and sprockets ordered. Trying a new brand of chain as well. The upside: I'll have a barely used set of sprockets to hang on the garage wall.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts