Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2008 Versys at CanDo Powersports in Hazleton, PA. I live in California and I asked them to register the bike in Oregon. Since I live on the other side of the country and wanted to make sure there would be no hiccups on this end, I talked through this whole thing several times on the phone with them. Keith at CanDo Powersports assured me everything would be taken care of, "...we do this all the time." I phoned the dealer today since my paperwork hadn't come through from Oregon and their story was now COMPLETELY different. Now they say that all registration paperwork is my responsibility. If you plan on patronizing CanDo Powesports in Hazleton, PA then BEWARE!!! They tell you one thing when they are trying to sell you a motorcycle then SURPRISE, you find out the real story is something completely different.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dealing in title work and such here is what I know. If they (the dealer)are not registered to do buisiness in the state you want the vehicle titled in, then It is your responsibility to license and title the vehicle. A lot of dealers who are close to a state line, or have multiple locations will be licensed to do buisiness in more than 1 state. My company is licensed to buisiness in Mo and IL, anywhere else I sell a vehicle they get a C of O( certificate of origin) which becomes a title when you submit your paperwork to your local DMV and apply for a license. Now here is an afterthought- Depending on how your state taxes vehicles( sale price,motor size ect) you may be able to get a break. No dealer in any state can charge sales tax for a state they are not licensed to collect taxers by.( so if you paid them sales tax-get it back!!)
I know what I know because I have been selling vehicles for close to 20 years- So I might have some insight.
A lot of sales people really have no clue what happens once a deal goes to the Finance office for paperwork-Shame on them I say, because of situations just like this. Just because they sell out of state all the time doenst mean they are registered in other states. Its actualy far easier to process paperwork for out of state sales-No stater title work, No tax forms- No license applied for- Just a check for the goods recieved.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oregon restricted registration of vehicles to non-residents a few years back. To many folks avoiding sales tax on $500,000 motorhomes. There are ways around it, but you may have to prove you are a resident of Oregon to complete the transaction.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, I was just trying to get registration but it is now appearing quite a bit more complicated. If I could make it to 7500 miles then I could register it in Calif.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the info, I was just trying to get registration but it is now appearing quite a bit more complicated. If I could make it to 7500 miles then I could register it in Calif.
What did you pay for your Versys at CandoPowerSports - did they give you a good deal?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.