Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope to make everyone in this community aware of the recent legal strategy that online retailer Backcounty.com has adopted regarding attempts to protect their trademark over the word 'backcountry' and apparent efforts to attain exclusive use of the term.

They have sued many small businesses using the word 'backcountry' in their name, even those who do not sell or market products or services that compete with their online business.

This article from the Colorado Sun highlights a few specific cases and their outcomes

The last few paragraphs of that article covers how the beloved Backcountry Discovery Routes non-profit is being targeted by Backcountry.com. I applaud the resistance that BDR's attorney is taking to the action and hope that they do not succumb to the gross legal action taken by Backcountry.com

I do not want this to be a thread to promote bashing or boycotting Backcountry.com; just hoping to spread awareness of their actions since BDR routes are a source of riding inspiration and memories for many of us!

·
Registered
268 Posts
If I understand the use of the word Backcountry in north America, it's similar to the use of Outback here in Australia. Trying to register Outback as a brand and close down anybody with that in their name would be thrown out over here.

Similarly, Australia has been selling sheepskin boots called Ugg Boots for generations here, but a few years ago a US company registered the name in the US as a trademark and tried to enforce it over here, requiring local sellers to rename their boots, or pay a license fee, or be sued. The attempt was thrown out of court and Ugg boot remains as a generic Aussie thing no matter who makes them.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Reactions: onewizard

·
Registered
806 Posts
Backcountry also owns MotoSport, just sayin'.

I did some reading up on those corporate pigs.

I have purchased at MotoSport, I will not in the future.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I can't find the edit button to add that reviews around slam Backcountry pretty hard for very poor customer service. I would assume the same from MotoSport.

·
Registered
479 Posts
That's weird; I've been buying from Backcountry for quite a while, a LOT of stuff, and its CS has been excellent. The only PITA I've had was a warranty claim on a piece of Marmot gear. Marmot insists on processing warranty claims directly, and it took too long to resolve IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts