Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put the new Storm 2 (rear only) on my V and put 1000 km on it this week. It is what I find typical for Avon st type tires; very confident, predictable handling, no fall-in, smooth and quick transitions. Didn't hit any rain but I hear they are very good in the wet. Slid on some hot tar snakes and then hooked up with no anxiety.

My only complaint, and it's a big one after a 500 km day: NOISE. This tire whines loudly on both tarmac and tarvey surface. Even with ear plugs it got to me. I thought perhaps some distance would cure it, but if anything it is louder now.

I am going to play with the pressure to see if it mitigates the noise. I have it at the Kawasaki recommended 36 psi. If it doesn't cure it I will go back to the Avaro ST which was a good tire for my Concours.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I put on a set of Avon Storm 2's last fall and I really like them over all. I have to agree about the rear tire noise, it is definitely there, however I only really hear it at about 50-60km/h. After that helmet noise cancels out the tire noise so it's not an issue for me.

I called Avon's toll-free tech support line and got the correct tire pressure for the Storms mounted on a Versys: 32psi front, 36psi rear.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I put on a set of Avon Storm 2's last fall and I really like them over all. I have to agree about the rear tire noise, it is definitely there, however I only really hear it at about 50-60km/h. After that helmet noise cancels out the tire noise so it's not an issue for me.

I called Avon's toll-free tech support line and got the correct tire pressure for the Storms mounted on a Versys: 32psi front, 36psi rear.

BUT you have to take into account the weight of you (the rider) and your Farkles.

See - http://www.avonmoto.com/tech/tire-pressure-guidelines

The above pressures were based on a 170 lb. Solo rider with no luggage etc.

So adjust pressures as necessary, depending on if you are Solo (below 170 lb.), "Solo Heavy / 2 up light", and "2 up Heavy"

Richard

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had a set of Avon Storms on my 2002 Honda Nighthawk. They were quieter than the OEM Dunlops. Great grip in the twisties, Great feedback and braking. And as far as gripping in the rain.....I rode in very heavy rain for about 60 miles with no problems.

These are excellent tires!!

~ Wes

·
Registered
739 Posts
I currently run Storm 2 Ultras too, love 'em too. Never noticed the noise, but maybe I am conditioned, because my previous 3 sets of tires were Avon Storms (1).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts