Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read countless threads where folks argue which type of cigarette outlet is best and why. I am not looking for that. I am looking for ideas on how/where to mount your aux power outlet (somewhere near the handle bars). Pictures with your comments on the "pros" of having it there would be best. Those that went with a straight USB outlet; any regrets?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm interested in seeing the answers to this. I'd really like to be able to hookup a phone charger for those long rides in the middle of nowhere.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
I have 1 dash mounted.1 connector mounted to the trellis on the left hand side by passenger footpeg i have different lenght leads.Also mounted there is the connector for the battery charger which i can plug a cig socket to it also.1 connector mounted to the trellis on the right side and 1 zipped tied to the cables on the left side of the handlebars.

IMG_0390 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0067 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0068 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Cap'n Kirk came up with a good idea that I glommed onto for my 2011.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?p=159462#post159462

I like it because it's out of the way and protected somewhat from the weather. It has worked well for me.

My Setup for the long hauls:

I've got a Cap'n Kirk 12V setup. Into that I plug a 12V splitter (with wx caps) and into one of those, I plug in a dual USB adapter. The splitter wires are long enough to run into my tank bag... either one or both... through a gap between zipper pulls.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I kept mine simple and wired the socket and installed it under my seat. I hooked up a toggle switch and five foot USB cord that I run to my tank bag. Just need it for phone and sena, so it works fine for me for now.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I've got a Cap'n Kirk 12V setup.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?p=159462#post159462

I like it because it's out of the way and protected somewhat from the weather. It has worked well for me.
Thanks!! I think the direct wiring to the battery and using the power outlet style instead of just USB gives you more options such as running a small tire pump (high current) as well as the low current items such as USB, cell phones, and GPS.

I wired it always hot so I can plug my battery tender in as well and use it for charging.

A few photos from the original thread that genehil linked:

:goodluck:

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
have two, 1 12v plug and 1 USB charger

the 12v is obvious, the USB charger is kinda hidden

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's routed through the metal bar holding the cables so it can't go anywhere. But I guess dangling too. Have cable zip tied all the way to the battery. That's there you can disconnect plug and use battery tender.
Took 5 minutes to route and tie up

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I mounted mine on my dash with a relayed harness that can be detached. I also have additional options for more outlets or connections with the harness I made.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Autoparts store 12v source.
Horizontal mounting helps keep water out, if it's raining while I am using it.
Heat shrink tubing & silicone RTV on the back end of it.
It goes to an Eastern Beaver "3 circuit solution"(highly recommended) under the seat.
I was kinda hoping the crudeness of it all would give me some ADV cred.

12 volt.jpg

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have been following this thread closely to get ideas on where to place an AUX outlet. I even went ahead and purchased the parts and ended up returning them.

Couple of thoughts:

a) I liked the idea of installing the aux outlet in the oem kawasaki location but thought it might be a pain to plug / unplug stuff.

b) I really liked how clean it looked putting in the dash but I didn't like that idea because as you're moving the bars but the power source stays in the same spot meaning you have to leave the cord loose. ugh.

c) I really only needed a USB port to charge my phone on really long drives. That's it nothing more. So I got thinking why even bother with an aux port. If I do go the heated clothing route or something down the road I'll rethink things.

For now I went ahead and picked up one of these:

http://aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/productpage.aspx?productid=3949

They are about 15 minutes from me and had them in stock so went and picked one up.

I also picked up one of the battery led lights mentioned in another thread.

I already had a ram mount on my handlebars so ran the usb cable up and attached it to the back of the ram mount with the port facing down. I have a very short 6" cable that I use to plug my cell phone into the usb port.

I powered the USB cable and the voltage led using the accessory connector on the front of the bike on the 2010+ models (I have a 2012).

The voltage LED I did install in my dash (left hand side) by dremelling a hole through the dash.

Everything is very clean and orderly which I like and the most important thing is it does what "I" need it to.

Your mileage may vary.

Darryl

I have read countless threads where folks argue which type of cigarette outlet is best and why. I am not looking for that. I am looking for ideas on how/where to mount your aux power outlet (somewhere near the handle bars). Pictures with your comments on the "pros" of having it there would be best. Those that went with a straight USB outlet; any regrets?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I mounted a 12V outlet on each side of the dash. Looks balanced and awesome. They were $7.95 each at Radio Shack. Wired directly to battery. Been using for two years with no issues.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts