Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day everyone,

I'm about to lay down the cash for a 2015 650 ABS. Have been riding large capacity bikes for years (ZRX1200 and R1150gs), as well as a few KLR650's of various vintages.

I actually went into the dealer to buy a new KLR. Was going through my standard list of KLR commuting parts (lowering links, road tyres, exhaust, top box, heated grips, etc) when the dealer pointed me at the Versys 650. I'd never really considered a Versys, thinking of them as a bit of a "soft" bike. Well, I liked the look of the matt black 2015, and had a seat on it. Instantly hooked. I can honestly say that I have never sat on a bike that fits me so well. Especially now the polarising style of the previous model has been replaced, I can see this becoming very popular with commuters. The bigger tank is a bonus as well.

I do around 200km a day for my commute, rain, hail or shine, so I'll be adding my usual comforts of heated grips, hand protectors and top case. I'm also going to add an aftermarket can, but I'll seek advice in the mods forum for that.

Cheers! :cheers:

·
Registered
60 Posts
G'day Bill, what part of this fine island are you in mate ?

·
Super Moderator
19,777 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,251 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Welcome Bill, from another 'Bill'.
You'll be pleasantly surprised by the Versys, at low revs feels & sounds like the KLR (my son has mine), but when the revs rise, the vibes go away, and it gets it's act together!.
You should be able to get 450 km out of the now larger tank.
Crash bars (e.g. SW-Motech) are a good investment......

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
:welcome: from Texas, USA. Wish we had as interesting town names as you folks in Oz. :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will certainly get crash bars. The set of Hepcos on my R1150gs saved a lot of damage when I dropped it in my garage (of all places). The panniers and handlebars didn't even touch the ground.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
G'day everyone,

I'm about to lay down the cash for a 2015 650 ABS. Have been riding large capacity bikes for years (ZRX1200 and R1150gs), as well as a few KLR650's of various vintages.

I actually went into the dealer to buy a new KLR. Was going through my standard list of KLR commuting parts (lowering links, road tyres, exhaust, top box, heated grips, etc) when the dealer pointed me at the Versys 650. I'd never really considered a Versys, thinking of them as a bit of a "soft" bike. Well, I liked the look of the matt black 2015, and had a seat on it. Instantly hooked. I can honestly say that I have never sat on a bike that fits me so well. Especially now the polarising style of the previous model has been replaced, I can see this becoming very popular with commuters. The bigger tank is a bonus as well.

I do around 200km a day for my commute, rain, hail or shine, so I'll be adding my usual comforts of heated grips, hand protectors and top case. I'm also going to add an aftermarket can, but I'll seek advice in the mods forum for that.

Cheers! :cheers:
Sounds like you have a good match with the 15 Versys. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the exhaust on the new 15 models all one piece? No can to remove and replace, unless you can do some welding...:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like you have a good match with the 15 Versys. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the exhaust on the new 15 models all one piece? No can to remove and replace, unless you can do some welding...:eek:
This could be the case, I haven't looked closely at the pipe. I'm pretty good at TIG, so I will get creative if I have to.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts