Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just recently completed my first major bike trip and what a blast it was. 4200 meandering miles from Asheville NC to Seattle WA over 13 days. The trip was a long time in the planning and was a big reason for me purchasing the Versys. I know it's not the ideal long distance touring bike but I loved the thing more and more each day. It was a sport bike on the Dragon, it was a Dual Sport on mountain gravel roads and it was a sport tourer on the long stretches. It just handled everything I threw at it and I just loved it more each day. Before the trip I was a little concerned about comfort over such distances but I had no problems at all.

So some pictures.....
Killboy shots on Tail of the Dragon

Pikes Peak, CO

Montana

There are no flies left in Idaho, I got them all

And lastly very brief video highlights of the trip
http://vimeo.com/25805213

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where do you put all the cameras?
You mean video cameras? I have a Contour on my helmet and I moved my GoPro around from the back of the bike (above license plate tail light) to below the front headlight and also on the handlebars.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Would be interesting to see how you mount it under the headlight and on the back. The video quality is great and no vibes.

·
Premium Member
16,105 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would be interesting to see how you mount it under the headlight and on the back. The video quality is great and no vibes.
I just use the standard GoPro sticky mounts and hardware. There is actually vibration in the picture that makes it slightly fuzzy looking but it's not too bad. It's a limitation of the crappy GoPro mounts that you are going to get vibration. Wedges of paper shoved under the sliding mount helps a lot but does not eliminate it. RAM mounts are much more solid and easier to adjust but not as easy to get into out of the way places.

You can see the GoPro hanging upside down from the headlight in the first pic, don't think I have any of the back but will take one if you want.

weljo, I would be careful where you ride with the camera mounted there. My GoPro was knocked clean off my bike as my suspension compressed while riding a forest road. Since then I won't mount it under the headlight if I'm riding tough terrain. Your setup looks solid enough that something would get damaged, I was lucky that my camera was just knocked off.

·
Premium Member
16,105 Posts
weljo, I would be careful where you ride with the camera mounted there. My GoPro was knocked clean off my bike as my suspension compressed while riding a forest road. Since then I won't mount it under the headlight if I'm riding tough terrain. Your setup looks solid enough that something would get damaged, I was lucky that my camera was just knocked off.

Thanks Alba, I was worried about the clearance also. Tried to compress the forks enough to hit the camera but wasn't able to. But with the ram mount i can adust the camera position and with the drift camera the lens will rotate so i can have the camera flat so between the two i can position the camera right up under the head light and flat so if anything was to get hit it would be the mount itself. Had a GoPro and it rattled in the protective case you could hear it and was a cause of vibes in the videos so i lined the case and made it a snug fit to solve those issues.

·
Premium Member
16,105 Posts
Heres a photo of what i was talking about and a photo of where the mount should be able to work on eighter side of the bike below the fairing.

IMG_0190 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0191 by weljo2001, on Flickr

1 - 13 of 13 Posts