Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received permission from Zack Courts of MOTORCYCLIST Magazine to print this beautifully written article from the October 2016 issue, and HIGHLY recommend that you read it, especially if you're are a new rider. And, IF you're also a pilot you WILL like it even more!

:thumb: - :thumb:

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
If you Own or are Thinking of buying a Versys Read This

I just received permission from Zack Courts of MOTORCYCLIST Magazine to print this beautifully written article from the October 2016 issue, and HIGHLY recommend that you read it, especially if you're are a new rider. And, IF you're also a pilot you WILL like it even more!

I have to say I was fortunate enough to get into a very long but enjoyable conversation with the above poster, many times you start agreeing with what is said and due to our extended age, forget all about some of that conversation. One thing in particular stood out in reference to flying, surprisingly the motorcycle came out above the plane. I asked a few more questions and had to return back to this article, in the end Eddie promised to forward it. This may be hard to believe but I read it at 1 in the morning, as it described something about the motorcycle experience particularly the V, that normally can only be experienced by a rider or pilot.

So if you are thinking about buying a V and not sure, this would be a excellent read. Thanks mister Kohler:wink2:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've always thought of riding as being very much like skiing, not so much like flying, but then I am an airline pilot not a hobbyist acrobatic pilot. Back in the day when I could afford my own little airplane (when I had an office job), I did some canyon running in the southwest. Now that was fun! And somewhat like riding a motorcycle, but less responsive than a bike.

As to the electronic aids, I'm all for them to the extent they enhance the mission. Which doesn't mean we shouldn't get training or practice without them engaged, but when we're commuting to work or going for a canyon ride, why not have the advantage of ABS?

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to include a link that Zack sent me to reading the article ONLINE at their site, for those preferring that:

Control and Consequences on Motorcycles and Planes | Motorcyclist

FWIW - on my LAST flight before retiring, my first-officer (FO) brought a video camera, then sent me a copy of it afterwards. Of the four legs [Vancouver-Calgary-Frankfurt (24 hour layover)-Calgary (20 hour layover)-Vancouver], the one that stood out was #4.

We took off from Calgary, chinook-clouds ahead over the Rockies, so we climbed to 35,000', and as we leveled the low clouds ahead dissipated, so I instructed the FO to request 19,000' to give the passengers a view. (At that altitude it appears that we are just OVER the "hills", while in fact AT LEAST 6,000' above them!)

As we flew along the FO said "There's NOTHING like this, is there Ed?"

I pondered that, then replied "This is good, but flying a single-seat ejection-equipped aircraft is the BEST!"

Then I thought another minute, said "No, riding a good motorcycle, on a challenging twisty road, when you're 'in the Zone'.... THAT IS THE BEST!"

I had TOTALLY forgotten that conversation until reviewing the FO's video, a month or two after my last flight (incidentally, on an Airbus AE340, the SAME airplane serial number in which I had flown my FIRST 340 flight some years earlier!), and at the reception after the flight I was presented w/ a photo of the SAME AE340 in flight, in a left turn...!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts