Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, I am a relatively new owner here with a 2011 Kawasaki Versys 650. I purchased used and the bike came with a slip on Arrow exhaust with the baffle removed. The original owner misplaced the stock exhaust and baffle for the arrow :rolleyes:

I do not dislike the sound of the arrow exhaust, but, call me old or a wimp, I would prefer it quieter. I have always liked quieter bikes. I like the looks, positioning and weight of it as well, but if the seller had included the stock I probably would have switched back by now.

All this leads to my question. What can I do to quiet the exhaust without dropping a lot of money on a completely new exhaust, or causing issues with the bike? A tiny amount of performance drop is negligible, but causing a stalling issue, etc. is not.

Buying a baffle to insert is currently my idea. I also have a custom exhaust fabricator in the area that may be able to make something for an unkown price. I do not know how much of a difference having a baffle in would be. Price I'm willing to spend would go up to the cost of a stock exhaust if I could find one, but I would rather silence the arrow than put that thing back on the bike, let alone paying extra for the privilege.

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
806 Posts
This gets into apples and oranges, but interesting dyno charts on those after market silencers here:

Have you seen this dyno chart?

The above pertains to a Concours-14. To sum up, that bike will loose 11hp compared to a stock exhaust using after market exhaust with a silencer. The after market slip on gained 3 hp but the silencer cost it 14hp, a net loss of 11hp.

I wouldn't presume to know what it does to a Versys but I would guess it would also not be good.

I know what you're saying about loud exhaust, it can be quite fatiguing. My KLR came with after market, I found a heavy stock system for it. Much nicer, at least for me.

Reactions: trogg21

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow that was pretty unexpected. I had no idea that it made such a difference. I suppose my only option if I want quieter exhuast is going to be purchasing a used OEM one if possible, or new if it really, really mattered to me. I'm not sure I want it quiet badly enough to warrant such extreme effects.

Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Wow that was pretty unexpected. I had no idea that it made such a difference. I suppose my only option if I want quieter exhuast is going to be purchasing a used OEM one if possible, or new if it really, really mattered to me. I'm not sure I want it quiet badly enough to warrant such extreme effects.

Thank you for the information.
There has been a few members that went to aftermarket exhaust, perhaps posting up a want to buy in the classifieds would do the trick. Price should be reasonable as there is not a lot of demand. Also check salvage yards though the prices would tend to be higher at these.

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
...The original owner misplaced the stock exhaust and baffle for the arrow :rolleyes:....
I bought a "take-off" muffler (YEARS ago...) for fairly cheap, just to have a spare, so I would suggest looking for one.

The OEM muffler in my '08 is NOW 11 or 12 years old, still working fine, so I may never use that extra one....

:grin2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts