Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the new cowl for the right side of my gas tank. The old one was scraped from a low speed dump. But the decals are seperate.
Has anybody experienced putting on new OEM Kawasaki and Versys decals?
Does a dry application work or would you recommend the lightly soaped water solution method?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Soapy liquid is the best way as it enables you to slide the stickers around to get them in the perfect position. I have a small rubber squeegee that I use to work from the centre out to remove any bubbles. Never failed using this method.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The company I work for just applied a new 12" square decal on our cargo vans. The method used was Windex and a squeegee. They are holding up nicely.

I, too, have scratches on my right cowling (previous owner-fell over in garage), and thought I might replace it and decals. But I think I'll just get tank panniers instead.

~ Wes

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. I was leaning toward the "wet" method. I had watched a couple youtube videos about it. I will go that route.
I hate riding a scratched up bike, unless it is a dirt or true dual-sport. Then they are battle scars. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A naked tank cowl is a blank canvas...good time to consider something other than Kawasaki. See examples in this thread.
You are right, very cool stuff!
But I actually like the stock decals. (Yeah, I know, I'm boring ;) )
And I already bought them.
That reminds me. Thanks to whoever it was that suggested partshark.com. :goodidea:
It was cheaper for me to buy my new OEM parts there than Bikebandit with the AMA discount.
Plus I found out that partshark is part of Flatout Motorsports right here in Indy, so I helped support a local company. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had to replace mine on the left side for the same reason, and since they are pressure sensitive adhesives there is no need for water. I measured carefully the good side and used masking tape to locate the spot. Sort of a cheap registration job. I work at a place that for 50+ years has made millions of adhesive backed nameplates so I knew how to handle them. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
That reminds me. Thanks to whoever it was that suggested partshark.com. :goodidea:
It was cheaper for me to buy my new OEM parts there than Bikebandit with the AMA discount.
Plus I found out that partshark is part of Flatout Motorsports right here in Indy, so I helped support a local company. :)
Don't know if I'm the only one, but I did recommend PartShark. You're welcome :thumb:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had to replace mine on the left side for the same reason, and since they are pressure sensitive adhesives there is no need for water. I measured carefully the good side and used masking tape to locate the spot. Sort of a cheap registration job. I work at a place that for 50+ years has made millions of adhesive backed nameplates so I knew how to handle them. Good luck.
This dry method worked very well. I measured and taped off the area for both stickers. Started at one end and pushed and rubbed it down a little bit at a time. No bubbles and looks great. Whatever the adhesive is that they use it is very cooperative. I usually end up with bubbles under decals. Not this time. :)

Now when it warms up a bit (which means the garage will warm a bit) I can get the tank and radiator cowls replaced and the T-Rex sliders on.
Going to be ordering some Giv v35 side cases soon. I already have the PLX rack on the bike.
Man I am ready for Spring!
(BTW - I am in Indy and the temp dropped drastically after last weeks Super Bowl. Low 20's F)

·
Registered
150 Posts
This dry method worked very well. I measured and taped off the area for both stickers. Started at one end and pushed and rubbed it down a little bit at a time. No bubbles and looks great. Whatever the adhesive is that they use it is very cooperative. I usually end up with bubbles under decals. Not this time. :)

Now when it warms up a bit (which means the garage will warm a bit) I can get the tank and radiator cowls replaced and the T-Rex sliders on.
Going to be ordering some Giv v35 side cases soon. I already have the PLX rack on the bike.
Man I am ready for Spring!
(BTW - I am in Indy and the temp dropped drastically after last weeks Super Bowl. Low 20's F)
It's been cold here today too. About 25°. But this week we are going to high 40's so I may be on the road here in CT. Glad to hear you got the decal on ok. I didn't think it would be a big deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts