Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I realize they're two separate entities, but I've narrowed my choice to a 2019 Suzuki 650 V Strom with 1200 miles, and a 2015 Vetsys 1000 LT with 12,000 miles...I think the lighter weight of the Strom is an advantage but I would have to add a top box and larger windshield....it also would get better gas mileage...on the other side, the Versys has everything I need plus a great orange color...at 74 years old I'm just a bit concerned about the weight...I've handled Goldwings and FJR's but I was a bit younger then..I'm now on a Honda NC700X....anyone rode all of these and have an opinion? Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
..anyone rode all of these and have an opinion? Thanks
Yep, and I turn 70 in a few months. I have a 2018 Wing, a 2013 650 Vstrom, and a 2015 Versys LT, so I get to compare them often. To me, the 1000LT feels lighter than the DL650. The Kawasaki has a much smoother torque curve. If I could only have one, it would probably be the 1000 LT.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Yours is identical to my short list as well some years ago when searching for something new. I ended up selecting the Versys 650 because it "fit me" better and I wasn't disappointed with the decision. I have a short inseam (28 inches) and found I was more comfortable with the Versys than the Strom. After installing the Motor Werk rear suspension lowering block and adjusting the forks, I felt even more comfortable.
I've only owned one V twin (a '57 Harley 750 flathead many years ago) but have had a ton of parallel twins and l suppose I favor their performance characteristics.
I've also begun adapting to my "elder statesman' years (I'm half way through my 75th year) by downsizing and considering alternatives. Heavy, tall and high powered no longer appeal as much as they once did.

·
Super Moderator
19,148 Posts
...I've also begun adapting to my "elder statesman' years (I'm half way through my 75th year) by downsizing and considering alternatives. Heavy, tall and high powered no longer appeal as much as they once did....
And for ME - kneeling in the garage to change tires, OR work on the bike, AND riding "gnarly" dirt roads are ALL getting OLD for me....

:eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Completely understood...all I want to do now is ride...all work goes to a shop...costs money but expands fun time

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
OK, here's an alternative although it isn't an inexpensive one. Get both and on any given day ride the one you that appeals most at that moment. Piece of cake isn't it? Well, maybe an expensive piece come to think of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts