Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off... I'm sorry I don't have pics...
but... I did the Apche Trail run yesterday.
Starting from Scottsdale
A nice set of twisties up to Canyon Lake and Tortilla Flat (had a great lunch in this 6 person town), then about 30 miles of dirt road past Apache lake (one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen!), and onto Rooselvelt Dam (Thie biggest mason dam in the world), then followed the pavement up to Miami and, finally took the 60 back home (a nice set of twisties here too, though they was road construction :( ).
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Scottsdale,+AZ&daddr=Apache+Lake,+AZ+to:Theodore+Roosevelt+Dam+to:Miami,+AZ+to:Scottsdale,+AZ&geocode=&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=33.426857,-111.115723&sspn=0.9765,1.757812&ie=UTF8&ll=33.515637,-111.29631&spn=0.243877,0.439453&z=11
It was a great run, did it two up with the GF. Used nearly a full tank of gas, so something around 200ish milles (as I still had about 3/4 a gallon left when I got back).
The bike handled just fine on the dirt roads (they were mostly hard packed gravel and sand, with a few soft spots), once I let some air out of the tires. Once the front tire did dig into a nice patch of sand though and the front dropped about 5 inches, almost fell over with the bike, but I got out just fine.
A great run, if any of you are around AZ, I can point you in that direction.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She enjoyed it. The Versys handles fine, and she has never complained of being uncomfortable. I added the backpad to my topcase, and since then she's been asking me to take her for a ride almost every weekend!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Looks like a great ride!

I love the desert country. If there is any way possible, I hope to take KawasiMoto to the Four Corners region before the end of the year. It would have been terrific to have taken the Vee over the Burr Trail before the local government ruined it by making it Winnebago friendly.

Hey, you mentioned your gas mileage. I seem to be getting a little better than 50 mpg on most rides. I usually fill up when the guage is down to the last bar but it rarely takes more than about 2.9 gallons to refill. That would leave about 2 gallons in reserve - might not be really accurate, but I like having the cushion in there. Here in the east, it would be hard to find a place that is more than 50 miles or so from a gas station, but I'm prone to pushing my luck.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Nice pics AZ. Should hang on to that GF, 200miles on the back is true love:yeahsmile:

Next time we hook up, lets try that one. I've been up to TFlats for lunch (had my first burger in about 5 years there-excellent) and all round there.

I assume that 'off' road stretch starts immediately after the TFlats bar? How far can you go-is the sand soft?

Looks like I might be in Scottsdale for Xmas this year with the Versys-maybe you'll have some time around then.

Machog

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice pics AZ. Should hang on to that GF, 200miles on the back is true love:yeahsmile:

Next time we hook up, lets try that one. I've been up to TFlats for lunch (had my first burger in about 5 years there-excellent) and all round there.

I assume that 'off' road stretch starts immediately after the TFlats bar? How far can you go-is the sand soft?

Looks like I might be in Scottsdale for Xmas this year with the Versys-maybe you'll have some time around then.

Machog
Yeah the dirt stretch does start almost immediately (a few miles) after T-flats, and it goes about 25 miles up to Roosevelt Lake, along Apache Lake. An awesome ride really. The road is easy, it's maintained by the state once a month, on the 25 miles I rode I only found 1 soft sand patch, and it was easy to get out of.
I will more than likely be aorund here in december, that's one twelfth of my prime riding season! Defenitly let me know when you're around again...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts