Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been incommunicado, no incarcerated for the last month, and have not had a chance to log on. Have been commuting to work a couple of days a week. Have I missed anything earth shaking, or any new bikes?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
welcome back.

There's been lots of talk about the 2015 Versys 1000 and the new Versys 650 LT, and the Yamaha FJ-09. You know, discussion of the usual pros and cons. Oops... no pun intended. ... :eek:)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the update. I looked at the 1000 recently, and it was next to a Vstrom and they seemed like twins from some perspectives. Maybe I'm just a little intimidated by the wider feeling girth when you get on. One of my bmw buddy's I ride with is trying to talk me into trying one of the F800 models if I want to increase size and power, but not go up to the 1000 level.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Thanks for the update. I looked at the 1000 recently, and it was next to a Vstrom and they seemed like twins from some perspectives. Maybe I'm just a little intimidated by the wider feeling girth when you get on. One of my bmw buddy's I ride with is trying to talk me into trying one of the F800 models if I want to increase size and power, but not go up to the 1000 level.
I almost bought a 2014 BMW F800GT a couple of months ago. I would like more wind protection, and an slight forward lean, and a little more power.

I decided to save my money, and ride the 650 V another season, and lower it and put on a new shock. I still need to test ride a F800GT. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,018 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Tiger 800 is my next step up

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I sat on one of those and it's way too cramped er ah "sporty" for this guy these days. Some bar risers and peg lowerers might make that one right too though. It does have proper height for a street going motorcycle. I know tall guys need bikes too, but dayum, these Versys got suspensions like motocross bikes. Despite the appearance, I'm not going to be jumping the Grand Canyon anytime soon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I test road the BMW-800 three times and the 700 twice. Each time I was sure that they were what I needed. I am still riding my Versys. They maybe better off road but I only go down dirt roads so that's not a deal killer for me. They just feel boring and you sit on top of the bike.
I road enduro's for years so off road is not new to me.
I also tried out the Triumph 800. Nice but big and no deals to be had on them.
I still try out anything I can but the Versys is hard to beat.
If I am going to spend $11,000 and up it better have something better than the bike that I am riding now.
870Buz

·
Registered
739 Posts
Not to turn this into a Beamer specific thread, but I had this video book marked. A little insight before you watch, BMW made airplanes back in WWI. After that conflict, I believe is when they started on motorcycles, as they had a time where they had little else to do.

So when you see the bi-planes chasing the motorcycle, it's meant to tie that history together.

Anyway, great video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hk1ZaiAhfk

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buz, I also sat on the Triumph 800 and felt like a little kid. If I get a Triumph it might be a Thruxy of a modified Bonnie for around town, and I keep the V for the road.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Buz, I also sat on the Triumph 800 and felt like a little kid. If I get a Triumph it might be a Thruxy of a modified Bonnie for around town, and I keep the V for the road.
I wanted a Thruxton bad, but realized after the test ride that it needed major suspension improvements if you ride in the real world. I was looking for used ones (so I didn't have to dump money on top of a new one) when I found my Moto Guzzi Café.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ya the Thruxton is in my hart also. Every time I sit on one I have envisions of smoking down back roads banking from left to right sweepers like I am at the last great race of the twins. Then I wake up and remember I can buy a lighter , faster supersport for less money. I really do like them but will probably never buy one for my everyday use.
Like the BMW thing my pockets are not as deep as I would like. It's like the new hype on the KTM 1290. Very nice bike, but if I was really going to be an adventure rider I would NOT want a chain. Not going around the world with a spray can of chain lube.
Just me.
Buz870

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I've recently read that Triumph will be coming out with a ~1200 cc vertical twin, partially water cooled, a semi-modern, larger version of their Bonneville/Thruxton, hoping to go after some more of BMW's market share.

My current plan is to keep riding & farkleing my 650 V, until something exciting (to me) develops.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I bought a 24 yr old BMW. While riding it, one is totally aware of operating a contrivance of West German manufacture. It is about as far from riding the Versys as one can get. However, it is fulfilling its purpose: I bought it to go visit the Granddaughter one state over. It cruises 40mph faster than the Versys. I already have a 'beaten path' with the Pie Lab in Greensboro Al as the mid point pit stop. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
AKA Yamadog, what is the mileage on your brick? They seem to run forever.
And yes Trialsguy I read of that new triumph also. It sounds like it might be a cool bike. I was at a triumph dealer today and he had the New Church in stock.
It was the first on that I had seen. Looked like a regular bonnie just different paint and blacked out on things. It was $1000 more than a standard bonnie.
870Buz

1 - 20 of 21 Posts