Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, since I picked up my 09 Versys last Friday and it has 4k miles and the original tires on it I decided to expand my knowledge by experience with different tires and ordered a set of Pilot Road 3's that will be installed Friday.

Just wondering if anyone on here has run them at all and share your experience.

I almost went with a set of Pilot Power or 2CT's but after reading what Michelin has to say about them I figured I would give em a try and see how they go.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yep, in fact there is a thread or two on that particular tire. In short it seems to be the tire of choice for road use among the members that have posted. Many have tried several combinations to get a little more off road use from the bike including changing the front rim to a 19"er as well.

·
Premium Member
16,100 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Based on that tire cupping thread, do you think that could be avoided by using different tire pressures? I'm thinking about getting the PR3s, but was hoping for something a little more durable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the other threads once i was at a computer and able to search and also put the app on my phone.

The whole cupping issue that people seem to relate to alot of tires is one of those items I have never really noticed. Ever. Maybe have a seperate discussion on that in another thread when i am not at work. Would be interested to see what people have as opinions on this and why it happens vs what Michelin and Dunlop Reps I have talked to have told me and vs my personal experience.

I think the Road 3's will be a great tire for me to try. Looking forward to mounting them today or tomorrow before heading out on a few hundred mile road trip this weekend.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have PR 3's on my 09 V. Have 9,000 miles on them. Have another 2,000 - 3,000 miles left. Ridden all on pavement; mostly backroads in NJ and PA. Still handle very well. Run them at 36 psi front; 40 psi rear. I will replace them with PR 3.

·
Registered
333 Posts
BikeBandit has the pair of PR3s for $286 right now. Is that a good deal? I'll jump on it now if that's the cheapest price I'll see for a few months.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Does Bike Bandit give you free shipping? Both Revzilla and MC superstore do and their prices were ~$304 and $308 respectively. So yeah, if you get them shipped for free, that's about as good as your gonna get price wise...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Their shipping is $8.95 for ground, so $295.33 total. I think I might pounce on this, as my stock tires are getting a little tired as I near 7,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
16,100 Posts
I got mine a year ago from jake wilson for $302.00 shipped

·
Premium Member
16,100 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have PR 3's on my 09 V. Have 9,000 miles on them. Have another 2,000 - 3,000 miles left. Ridden all on pavement; mostly backroads in NJ and PA. Still handle very well. Run them at 36 psi front; 40 psi rear. I will replace them with PR 3.
You'll get more traction and a smoother ride if you run them at the recommend pressures of 32psi (front) and 36psi (rear).

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
BikeBandit has the pair of PR3s for $286 right now. Is that a good deal? I'll jump on it now if that's the cheapest price I'll see for a few months.
That's close to what I paid for just the BACK tire in Canada!

I've put just over 10,000kms on the pair of PR3s this season and they are wearing great. I still have lots of life left on them and I like the ride and handling a lot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Put them on yesterday and am so glad to be back on tires that I trust. The dunflops had to go. Going to put about 600 miles on them his weekend....

Beamed from my Gnex

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm on my 2nd front and 3rd rear PR3. They perform flawlessly in all conditions for street use.

I run my pressures really high too, I fill to 41/41 and refill when the handling starts to feel a little mushy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts