Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
For the record... after three 2-night ADV trips, decided not to worry about a skid plate for now. Definitely have to pay a lot of attention to possible muffler busters in the dirt, but, lack of a plate is not the main issue off pavement. Maybe if I did more gravel, I would feel differently.

Suspension and travel being the main issues for me; trying to address this with soft settings, low PSI, springy raised seat, and soon, lowered pegs to get me off the seat more easily.

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
NO 'skid-plate' on my Gen 3 ('15 V650), tho' I DO have one on my Gen 1 ('08), MOSTLY because the Gen 1 and 2 V650s have that LONG vertical 'tit' (the oil drain's there) hanging down into "harm's way", while late-models drain from the left side, horizontally, and the muffler 'kind of' protects that area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
NO 'skid-plate' on my Gen 3 ('15 V650), tho' I DO have one on my Gen 1 ('08), MOSTLY because the Gen 1 and 2 V650s have that LONG vertical 'tit' (the oil drain's there) hanging down into "harm's way", while late-models drain from the left side, horizontally, and the muffler 'kind of' protects that area.
Is that why the skid plates aren't compatible between Gen 2 and Gen 3? I haven't been able to tell why some sellers list only 2015-2020 compatible on skid plates when seemingly theres no differences on the bikes. I know rake and trail changed, but that shouldn't affect skid plate compatibility.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I don't need the skid plate at all, because I am not riding the bike on dirt road. Gravel roads is not a problem. but I fitted the SW mote ch skid plate just for the look. the bike looks much better now :)

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
Is that why the skid plates aren't compatible between Gen 2 and Gen 3? I haven't been able to tell why some sellers list only 2015-2020 compatible on skid plates when seemingly theres no differences on the bikes. I know rake and trail changed, but that shouldn't affect skid plate compatibility.
The oil drain "tit" sticks down a couple of inches, so it's QUITE vulnerable, unlike the horizontal drain on the Gen 3s!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts