Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pros and cons...Comments...discuss

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good question

I was just going to ask the same question!

I'm looking at a power commander or a juice box for my 08 versys... I've already got the 2 brothers slip on exhaust, so I'd like to get the FI mapped so there is no back fires.

Anyone have any experience with any fuel management systems on the versys???

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a Twobros Juice box on the way . My V has the twobro pipe on already so i think it shall be a good combo. The mapping is set up to work with their pipe .
Im pumped & ready to try it out but have to wait till spring comes..:(

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think this unit does not provide the ability to remove fuel and thus lean out the top-end for more power. Typically, bikes are lean down low for emissions and rich up top to provide a measure of safety margin.

The PC does have the ability to remove fuel and it's cheaper at hardracing.com. I do have a PC on my Suzuki but I'm still trying to decide about the Versys.

Anybody have a dyno run with A/F ratio to see if there is a benefit to removing fuel at WOT at high revs?

·
Registered
45 Posts
PAIR valve

Have you disabled the PAIR valve?
I took off my tank and unpluged it when I installed the pipe... but it will still make a little pop if you are engine braking from moderately high rpm... which I don't like.

the video a couple posts above has a little bit more info on how the juicebox works. I think you can adjust the amount of fuel that any one mode will use and then adjust at what point in the engine load the map will switch to a given mode. This should allow you to make the mix more rich or lean at any given RPM...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've tried to find personal experience posts regarding the juice box on the web with little success. I believe that if you have a Dyno close by the PCIII is the way to go because of its proven reliability and the ability to add or remove fuel where needed. The juice box is set up for your bike with a 2bros pipe and their claim is it will work off the existing map. With so little info out there it's a bit of an expensive gamble. However, 2bros has been around a while so I don't believe they're just blowing smoke...................

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for that link.

On that note, would a new slip-on pipe and a free-er breathing air filter change the fuel-air mixture enough to cause engine problems? Do you need to change the stock map to compensate?

·
Registered
779 Posts
For what it's worth, I am pretty happy with my PCIII. I found a map that works well on my bike, and I would say the machine is darn near purrrfect! It's amazing what a difference these devices can make.:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
how much?

How much of a difference did the PC III make? Do you have a aftermarket pipe or air filter/ other mods? How much did it cost to get the PC mapped??

thanks for the info!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been trying to find a K&N air filter for the V but it doesn’t look like they make one anymore. Could have sworn they did at one time. any one have a suitable replacement or K&N part number?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been checking out a few forums and this subject doesn't seem to get alot of responses. Theres a thread on another Kawi forum about carrying open or concealed thats like 20 pages long. Anyway, I'm going to try and contact 2bro's and see if they have anything to add. A pipe and a good filter = more air which will require more fuel. you can add this fuel with the juice box. The PCIII is way more refined than the juice box but requires time at a shop with the right equipment and appropriate maps. I know theres some serious techies on this site who could clarify this for us when they're done debating octane ratings and spring dampening and such.:)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've been checking out a few forums and this subject doesn't seem to get alot of responses. Theres a thread on another Kawi forum about carrying open or concealed thats like 20 pages long. Anyway, I'm going to try and contact 2bro's and see if they have anything to add. A pipe and a good filter = more air which will require more fuel. you can add this fuel with the juice box. The PCIII is way more refined than the juice box but requires time at a shop with the right equipment and appropriate maps. I know theres some serious techies on this site who could clarify this for us when they're done debating octane ratings and spring dampening and such.:)
I Agree with you ..... The JB should provide enough performance gains for the Stock motor with pipe & filter. If you were to do a bunch of internal mods to this motor then the PCIII would be the better way to fine tune, at an extra cost to you . My JB is on the way :thumb:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I Agree with you ..... The JB should provide enough performance gains for the Stock motor with pipe & filter. If you were to do a bunch of internal mods to this motor then the PCIII would be the better way to fine tune, at an extra cost to you . My JB is on the way :thumb:
Ox, what are your current performance mods? 2bro pipe? Air filter?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...Theres a thread on another Kawi forum about carrying open or concealed thats like 20 pages long...
I was thinking about this as well. The JB is technically not a device that when added makes your machine street legal anymore. More than likely those of us in this thread thinking about adding the JB have 2bros pipes as well which make the machine not street legal anymore either but I think law enforcement is less likely to inspect a machine with a performance pipe than a machine that has something like the JB in plain sight.

Of course this theory of mine could be totally wrong now. I don’t know about everyone else but in the past month or two, law enforcement in my area of the world is pulling any and everyone over for even the most minor infractions and issuing tickets. My lead foot girlfriend has gotten two hefty ones in the last month and a half. On the way to work in the morning and at night I always see at least 2-3 cars pulled over by the police. I believe this is due to local and state governments running out of money due to the economic situation.

With that said, I would hide it under the cowl.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd love to comment on the ticket thing but I'd probably get fired. It's crazy how posts on the web have come back to haunt some of my coworkers. Just know that if you're ever in Northeastern Ontario you've got a friend on the road.

You made excellant points about putting the juice box under the cowl and I have to agree. However the thread in the other forum that I was referring to was about carrying handguns open or concealed. I just thought it was curious how a subject like that got so much response and a technical subject like the juice box didn't. I'm looking forward to hearing from Oxman about the juice box.

On that note Oxman, did your bike react adversely at all to the pipe and filter? The Kawi sportbike forum has a few guys who have said that just a pipe and a filter was enough to cause the bike to lean out at the top end and lose power and run roughly.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts