Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are the two bikes I am torn between, I know they are different in there makeup v-twin vs parallel twin, versys shorter wheelbase but ground clearance is the same and weight is same. Suzuki engine is probably better but I don't know for sure. Anyone have any input?
Thanks,

·
Registered
287 Posts
Haven't owned the Weestrom. But have owned a 2016 V650lt. What are you wanting out of your new machine? What's your riding style like? Will you be riding much 2up? You clearly have done your homework on the specs. Personally, you can't go wrong with either one of them. Demo each if you can and let the bike choose you. If you are looking for pure comfort. Then I suspect the Wee would be better with the longer wheel travel. But if you are looking for a fun bike in the twisties. Then I would walk you over to the Versys. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had an 08 Wee, before my current '15 650 Versys. I was pretty happy with the Wee, just like to try 'em all, and Kawasakis have always been my favorite since I started riding 50 yrs ago. For riding, the Versys, with bar risers, fits me perfectly! No lean or reaching. Both were tiptoe for me, at 5-7 1/2. The versys being just a tad higher. I didn't lower either. I miss the center stand of the Vstrom, which was already added when I bought it. The Versys has none....which I hate, but not enough to spend the extra money. I don't keep bikes for more than a few years, and add ons are wasted money at sale time.. I've had 40+ bikes in 50 years.I haven't put many miles on the Versys, with the pandemic, and extremely hot summer around here. The Strom was much less picky about gear selection...the Versys reeeeally hates to be lugged, even a little. The biggest difference is: looks. The Versys is a damn good looker, while an 08 Strom is kinda fugly. lol The Versys has much better brakes too. I wanted a newer bike, and hated the looks of the newest Stroms....stacked headlights and beak.....yuck! They look like the older Versys'. I knew I had to try a Versys after they redesigned 'em in 2015. I fear I'm nearing the end of my riding days, anything over 50-100 miles hurts like hell. But years ago, I could've rode the wheels off this Versys. For me, I like 'em both. I'm much more used to bigger bikes...had 3 Kawi Voyager XIIs over the years, FZ1, 1250 stage 2 Bandit, Concours 14....etc..... so 650's are my new normal, simply for less weight, but only because I HAD to downsize. Getting older forces some hard decisions.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had an 07 Weestrom. Enjoyed it, had no issues per sé but it was just big. And I didn't look at it and think "man that's a good looking bike".

I like the center stand and 19" front on the Strom. It was definitely a bit more "plush". Standing was more natural on the Strom, but I always felt like I was riding a whale. Not that I've ever ridden a whale.

Strom had more storage, but I have everything I need on the V now.

My Versys, a 2012... is simply more enjoyable to ride. I thought I would miss the center stand a lot but I don't. I added the SWM rear Alu-Rack because I got used to having the rear shelf on the Strom.

Honestly, I would take my Versys anywhere I took the 'Strom. I'm not hard core but I've taken the V on the same gravel as the Strom. Next tire change will be Shinkos; that will give me the same effective front radius as I had on the "Strom.

The V is more fun to ride. My wife enjoys riding pillion on it more than the 'Strom, we've taken longer trips (and overnights) on the V even though the 'Strom had more room. I'm planning on trying the Iron butt on the V; I'll have to improve the seat for that but would have had to do the same on the Strom.

Man the NEW Strom... the liter Strom... is really tempting though hahahaha. nice color and a few modern riding aids like CRUISE.

I'll keep the V for now. SOLID bike. Fun to ride and can do the miles when I want to.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had an 07 Weestrom. I didn't look at it and think "man that's a good looking bike".
LMAO!! I "get" that! I put off getting a strom for a few years, simply due to the weird looking tank area.But ultimately, ended up with 3 different ones. 1-1k, and 2-650's. They do what they do so very well, in spite of their looks. But now my Versys does basically the same, without having to wince when I enter my polebarn.

00808_i2XFzHY7iDd_1200x900.jpg

·
Registered
171 Posts
Haha. I wouldn't mind having one in the garage that's for sure.

The NEW 1050 Strom... the grey one... to me, that's a good looking machine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts