Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Anyone go from a V-Strom to a Versys?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  kojack 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of moving from the V-Strom (DL-1000) to a Versys. I just like the parallel twins so much. I love my XS650, but want to continue to have something fuel injected and newer. Also, something decent enough for some road trips. I'm even willing to trade if anyone is interested.

#3 ·
My bike right before the Versys was a Wee Strom and it was the best moveI ever made bike-wise. The Versys for me is a lot more fun to ride, more agile, flickable, you name it.
In the 14 months I owned the Wee I did about 1800 kms and alsmost 7000 on the Versys.
:thumb:

#4 ·
I had an 06 DL1000 Vstrom a couple of years ago and was not impressed initially. It was big,heavy and ugly but after $6000 worth of add ons it was as capable as a BMW GS. It was a better highway distance bike than the Versys and of course, a lot more powerfull but it was still a top heavy pig when I ventured off road. Would I do it again? Sure! I'm on my second Versys and miss the power of the 1000 strom. I would not consider the 650 wee strom over the Versys though do to the handling advantage of the Versys.

#5 ·
I came to the Versys from a '07 dl1000 via an FJR1300. The strom was an endless money pit trying to upgrade everything to a suitable level. Lots of aftermarket for the bikes, because they needed it. The power was descent, but it didn't offset the weight of the bloated hog. Anything past a well groomed gravel road and you had your work cut out for you. The fuel mileage was attrocious if you ran at speeds above 75mph.

The FJR was one powerful scoot. Great speed and handling and a total waste of time here in the states where the speed limits are so slow. That bike felt at home running between 90-100 mph. That is the very reason why I got rid of it.

The Versys is a very competent middle weight bike. I'm also a big fan of parallel twins having owned Triumphs (old ones), XS650's, and a TDM850. The V has a few shortcomings, but they are easily addressed and not cost prohibitive. Mine, by this time next week, will be morphed into a nice ADV touring rig as I'm pretty much throwing the accessory catalog at it. I'm a bigger guy and the V has no problem pulling my 290lb frame around.

If you are close to the central Indiana area and want to ride mine, you're more than free to do so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.