Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is a 2012 with 3600 miles on it and it's doing some strange stuff. First of all the lights (head/tail/dash) flicker at idle, like it's not making enough wattage. As soon as the RPM's are anything above idle they're perfectly steady. That's problem one.

Problem two is stranger. My clock keeps changing time at random, and my trip meters keep resetting themselves.

WTF? Bad battery? Bad regulator? Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
1,485 Posts
Bad earth points.
Corrosion on the fuse contacts. Also chech main fuse on LHS of bike below seat and side faring.

I do know that the cluster will reset if there is not a good 12V+. when it resets you loose the current mode, time goes back to 1:00 and you lose Trip A/B.

You may have a faulty battery. Try another, check the voltage and the connections are tight.

As your rpm's are up and all seems OK then the alternator and regulator are OK.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
My money's on a bad ground. Start with the battery and check to be sure the post are clean and tight.

·
Registered
97 Posts
One ground point to check is the frame ground under the seat, directly behind the tool kit. It’s a 10mm bolt with several black and yellow-stripe wires grounding to the frame. I used that very ground point for two accessories (thinking good enough for Kawy, good enough for me) and noticed that it threw off both the clock and trips simply by loosening the bolt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts