Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pondering the idea of it with my V650. Wondering how the bike did in different climates and what the process is like getting your bike shipped? Cheers!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I’ve never done it, but I’ve heard people say it’s cheaper and less hassle to rent a bike while your there. If your going to be there a while, buy a used bike when you get there, then sell it before you leave. Even if you take a descent loss, it would still be cheaper than renting one for an extended period.

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
I have researched some of this, primarily for Australia / Tasmania . Renting for 9 days , if you so much as go down the wrong road, the bike is GPS tracked, that mistake could cost $2000. If you rent for 9 and need 10, too bad. If you rent for 10 and need it for 8, same thing. I could buy a new bike and sell it for $2000 to $3000 less and be ahead. However I am looking at possibly a month. Many restrictions on used bikes. Lots of Australian members here can chime right in. With the covid thing, I am delaying until 2021 now.

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
I ran into a fellow from Belgium at D2D, riding a KLR. For him it was a "bucket-list" item.

He flew to Calgary where he bought a used KLR, then planned on riding it to Alaska, down thru the USA and ..., then he would return to Calgary, sell it and fly back home.

(y)(y)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I rented a bike (actually 2 bikes, a BMW F800 first day and a Honda Africa Twin the second day), last summer in Romania, they did the job, but nothing like my Versys back home.
It would be interesting to have somebody that would take care of these services, sell the bike to visitors and then get it back and sell it after.
I did almost 700km in 2 days, for sure I wanted to do more but it was expensive to rent by day.
It would be very difficult to ship the bike to a different continent, especially during the riding season here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You should talk to (Motorcycle Express) they arrange shipping by air to many countries and I believe including Australia and New Zealand. We flew our V1000 from Toronto Canada to London and from memory it cost about $1400 USD one way, It was pretty painless as far as we were concerned and went on the same plane as us and we picked it up from the cargo depot the same afternoon that we arrived in London.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
friend of mind air freighted his Versys 650 from the east coast to London. he rode the euro area for a few summers, then had the bike shipped back to the states. pretty straight forward shipping process, no problems with customs.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I rented a V-Strom 650 for two weeks last year out of Munich. If you ship a bike to Europe you need to at least be over there for 4 weeks or more to make it cost effective. Any time less rent. The V-Strom I rented was about 700 Euros a week. A lot cheaper than renting a BMW or a larger machine. It had enough go power for the European roads. I stayed off of the AutoBahn as much as possible.
SAM_4691 (2).JPG
SAM_4518.JPG
SAM_4699 - Copy.JPG
SAM_4715 (2).JPG

·
Registered
325 Posts
the country matters too. you can go to India, buy an Enfield and give it away when you leave and be cheaper

1 - 10 of 10 Posts