Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I discovered that the trim part on the exhaust tip had fallen off. Now there's just a narrow pipe exiting the muffler, and it looks more like a car muffler than a bike muffler. Looked better before, but I think I'll leave it this way.

It looked like the trim part was welded on, but maybe not very well.

Has it happened to anyone else?

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
I've heard of it happening to one other Gen II model.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A bit over 35k miles for mine, though the roads aren't that bad. Until this my bike felt pretty much like new to me. Not so sure anymore.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah. just the cover for the outlet part.

When I discovered the it missing I had just returned from one of the rougher roads in the area. And at one part it did launch my butt off the seat. It probably came off on that ride.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Yesterday I discovered that the trim part on the exhaust tip had fallen off.
You ridin' a Harley? Its quite common with the Harley's to have parts fall off going down the road. I was riding behind a friend of mine (ridin' his Harley) and a chrome piece fell off and went bouncing and rolling inline with me. I was almost able to scoop it up with my left hand as I passed it but could not quite grab it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You ridin' a Harley? Its quite common with the Harley's to have parts fall off going down the road.
My only ride on a Harley was when I was a kid, riding on the back of an AMF bagger or full dresser or whatever, and the horn fell off during the ride.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
You ridin' a Harley? Its quite common with the Harley's to have parts fall off going down the road. I was riding behind a friend of mine (ridin' his Harley) and a chrome piece fell off and went bouncing and rolling inline with me. I was almost able to scoop it up with my left hand as I passed it but could not quite grab it.
Sounds the F-104 Starfighters the US sold to Germany long ago. The standing joke was that you could tell the flight path by the trail of parts littering the ground. :eek::D

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
Sounds the F-104 Starfighters the US sold to Germany long ago. The standing joke was that you could tell the flight path by the trail of parts littering the ground. :eek::D
Lots of my friends flew 104s, but this is the FIRST time I heard of this. The joke I heard back in the '70s:

Want a 104...? Buy a plot of land in Germany... and wait...!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FWIW the one on my Ninja 650R never fell off, though that only had fewer miles on it when we parted ways than my Versys did when the piece broke.

I expect weld quality varies a lot from muffler to muffler and that's probably the biggest factor.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My 08 is starting to make a funny rattling/squealing noise. I'm guessing it'll be gone one of these days.

It stops if I grab the trim (with gloves of course).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts