Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I'm compromising my fun and comfortability while riding the Versys due to the size of the bike. The power is perfectly managable, but I mean the overall size of the bike.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You referring to the 650 or the 1000? And do you find it too large or too small? How big are you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have pretty much the opposite experience at 6'5 and the bike feels perfect for me, maybe even a tiny bit too small. I say find something that fits you or modify as needed to make the versys work! I love it and its my first bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the 650cc and I'm 5'9" and 130lbs. I will be selling the versys soon. Tonight I'm purchasing a 2014 Yamaha FZ6R with 130 miles for $4,000.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's the 650cc and I'm 5'9" and 130lbs. I will be selling the versys soon. Tonight I'm purchasing a 2014 Yamaha FZ6R with 130 miles for $4,000.
Where are you located? Seems like a really good deal.
I'm 5'10" and 195 lbs. The versys 650 is perfect for me. It's tall, it's heavy, it's ugly and it's a great bike.
I almost bought a fz6r but the price was too high. And other owners claimed it was "boring ", same guys who ride 600 supersports.

·
Registered
210 Posts
One of my previous bikes was an FZ6R... Great bike, the inline 4 is smooth as silk (shifting between 1st and 2nd still thunks, though). You'll be able to flat foot it, as opposed to the V. You'll be short shifting more often on the 6R, but it *is* a fabulously flickable bike, and with the right tires (in my case, I preferred PR2s when I owned it), you'll be scraping your knee pucks with confidence in the twisties.

All that being said, it doesn't have the torque that I enjoy *so* much on the V. It's more of a pain to work on due to all the plastics you have to pull even to just change the oil. I've lowered my V (w/ Motowerk's kit), and its as easy to peddle backwards now as the 6R was. The V has more space, and is less cramped, and you *will* be changing the seat on the 6R... (I just ordered a Sargent for the V, but it was a tougher decision).
The 6R's windscreen is less than perfect (and is talked about a lot on the forum). I put a Puig on mine, and it cured the buffeting. The 6R is a solid bike, but, lowered, I believe the V has a plethora of advantages. They're close in weight, but the 6R actually feels *more* top-heavy. Lots of aftermarket farkles for the 6R... and it's got a great forum... So, good luck with whatever you decide... I'll post a pic of mine, if I can find one...

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I'm 5'10" and 195 lbs. The versys 650 is perfect for me. It's tall, it's heavy, it's ugly and it's a great bike.
I almost bought a fz6r but the price was too high. And other owners claimed it was "boring ", same guys who ride 600 supersports.
Ugly? Mines beautiful dunno what's wrong with yours :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Versys heavy? Its dry weight is 399lbs.. seems light to me.

I previously owned a '08 FZ-6 and personally feel that it is a better bike than the FZ-6R. Incredibly smooth bike as someone else mentioned. I loved my FZ, but I love my Versys too. Just depends on what you want. The FZ is much more sport and high RPM oriented where as the Versys is much more all-around and has a broader torque curve. Also, the FZ-6R weighs about 50lbs more and only produces about 10-12 more HP at 10k RPM than the Versys. My FZ-6 was definitely faster in the 1/4 mile, but for everyday riding, my Versys seems quicker.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I love the Versys as a daily donkey and I've spent a decent amount of time and money making it faster around corners but It will never be an all out ADV bike or a sport bike. Its a well balanced and affordable compromise which I find enjoyable enough for daily use and thrashing on the weekends. However I am getting bored of my Versys but I really do find it hard to trade her in. I'm holding out for a used 2015 VFR800 with plenty of attachments.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts