Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the radiator temp gage put on with other stuff, so maybe something shook or vibrated loose or wasn't fastened properly.

Just putting out feelers to see if something common diverts air on the right knee. It was at least a 100 F today, or it felt like it; and maybe that's all it was.

My BMW F650 ST blows a lot of hot air but the pipe circle the cylinders (to warm up exhaust fast), goes under the seat, and out the left side to a hot cat converter.

Maybe the temp gage T (added between the upper hose) is something else to conduct hot temps and altered the air flow too somehow. It's not real bad, but it's not real pleasant either. I'll have to divert the air flow somehow :nerd: No problems otherwise, running just over 220 F.

·
Registered
217 Posts
during the hot summer my V always cook`s my right leg
the only mod to the rad is a mesh cover (home maid)
the parts are from home depot the instructions are from a very old post here at this site

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've had my Versys for 5 years and recently, for the 1st time, I have noticed this same issue. My right leg gets hot, and it even feels warm under the right side of the saddle, where the right butt cheek is. But then I get off the bike, feel the saddle, and it's not hot. Take off the saddle -- the battery is on the left side, and the battery isn't hot anyway.

It's odd. Why would I never notice my right leg cooking for five years, and suddenly notice it? I've been wearing the same Aerostich the entire time. Oil and coolant levels are fine.

I hear ya, kawdog. It truly feels like something has changed, but what?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I noticed the first time I rode mine.
I think the only thing that has changed is that someone brought it to your attemtion.
The hot air has to go somewhere, preferably to the outside of the bike.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
i find sylvester cooks my left more then my right personally, might also be i kick my right leg out more

·
Registered
756 Posts
Well, I have only a little over 400 miles on the bike, however 2 days of riding it was in the upper 90s, and in traffic. I never got uncomftorable.. I say that because that was one of the key reasons for Selling my Ulysses. I could have sworn on hot days in traffic you could have fried an Egg on the inside of my right leg.. jeebus it was hot. This bike is like a cool fall breeze in comparison!

·
Registered
55 Posts
100F here, riding in shorts I find my inner knee areas get really really hot, I can still touch but it is very uncomfortable to hug. I thought it was a problem but after noticing it only happened when ridding fast, like when sustaining 100MPH, I figured it was normal. I put down 100-110 the other day for at least 30min with only occasional dips to 60 when it was unsafe, no issues but my bike is still new.

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
We all know that Thermo-Bobs solve a whole host of issues. If I ever purchased a second Versys (or a third, for someone's sake), then I would have all of them with Thermo-Bobs since I am a true believer in that device.

I am certain that I feel the heat from the engine change directions depending on the local wind conditions (once they are significant).

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts
We all know that Thermo-Bobs solve a whole host of issues. If I ever purchased a second Versys (or a third, for someone's sake), then I would have all of them with Thermo-Bobs since I am a true believer in that device.

I am certain that I feel the heat from the engine change directions depending on the local wind conditions (once they are significant).

I sold mine with the Therm-O Bob still on it...Man that guy doesn't know how lucky he was when he bought it....:grin2:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thought the v already had a thermostat? no effective by pass around thermo? How would this device keep your right leg cooler? Pretty simple to see where the air is going to flow when moving

·
Registered
55 Posts
The heat is getting so bad I'm thinking of ceramic coating the entire exhaust. This thing puts out enough BTUs to heat a school. It is 100F outside and the bike is maxed out doing 110.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Besides having more radiated heat from the engine cylinder head which is closer to the right leg, air flowing through the radiator is partially blocked by the radiator to thermostat hose on the left, allowing more heated air to flow on the right.

·
Registered
186 Posts
100F here, riding in shorts I find my inner knee areas get really really hot, I can still touch but it is very uncomfortable to hug. I thought it was a problem but after noticing it only happened when ridding fast, like when sustaining 100MPH, I figured it was normal. I put down 100-110 the other day for at least 30min with only occasional dips to 60 when it was unsafe, no issues but my bike is still new.
100+ in shorts? Well I would think if the bad happened, it wouldn't really hurt...

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Besides having more radiated heat from the engine cylinder head which is closer to the right leg, air flowing through the radiator is partially blocked by the radiator to thermostat hose on the left, allowing more heated air to flow on the right.
That is a complex assembly. Got any see through diagrams available? I know you have uncanny database access to almost anything mechanical or engineering wise to do with the Versys 650 (or probably anything else too.)

TIA!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts