Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for more light (and whiter). I would prefer to install a HID kit than putting a 65w bulb. Any of you installed a HID kit on the Versys? If so, what is the brand name? Where did you installed the ballast? Any picture?

·
Registered
418 Posts
You might want to try Sylvania SilverStar bulbs at stock wattages. Very bright white light and allot cheaper than HID.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I added some and they are much better. They also make a SilverLight Ultra, but I couldn't find one. I have also ordered a 65W 2100 Lumens bulb to try for the low beam. CP64217 from http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H7.asp I will let you know how it works.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I installed low and high beam HID lights from cqlight.ca. Just stuffed the ballasts and igniters behind the fairing. Works great. -- Hank Farber.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed low and high beam HID lights from cqlight.ca. Just stuffed the ballasts and igniters behind the fairing. Works great. -- Hank Farber.
Can you take some pictures and post them here please? Did you see a big difference? With the high beam, what is the delay?

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Whoops. Didn't mean to submit the same post again. Sorry.

Bob,

As for pictures, I am not sure of what I would take pictures. It is a plug-and-play installation.

The lights are terrific. Way way brighter than stock. The high beam has some delay if you have not been on high beam for a while. Once warmed, it goes on and off seeming instantaneously. So I have no problem in night driving when I am "going up and down" as traffic allows. But not too useful to flash someone daytime. -- Hank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hsfarber,
How easy was it to install? For the picture, I was looking for pictures of the ballasts / igniters installation (where they are located). Did you need any extra fitting / parts or the plug and plug kit has everything? Which Kelvin degree did you take? Thank you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Hsfarber, what model and light temp did you choose?

Thanks,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where (in the fairing) did you installed the ballasts and the igniters? Can you take a picture of your setup please?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am away from the bike for about a week, and cannot take pictures. In any case, I am kind of embarrassed to do so, since the bits are just stuffed behind the headlights in the fairing and not attached to anything (other than a tie wrap here and there). What can I say?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Hsfarber, thank you for the information!

I got enough, don't need the pictures....

Cheers!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, did install a kit on mine with the help of B0B last fall and let me tell you what a difference it makes. We bought from CQlight too.

We made an aluminium braquet to hold the 2 ballast together and it fits on the horizontal steel bar that hold the front ferring.

I had to go to Toronto for work 2nd week of November at night, without those lights, I think I would have not do it....

THank you for the tip HSfarber

·
Registered
469 Posts
I also put in the 65 watt bulb and thought it was better, but when I intalled the HID lights, I see they are better yet.

If I had to do it over again, I'd only put in the low beam HID. The high beam HID is not meant to be turned on and off often to use as warning lights, it cuts down on their life a lot I read.

Still, even HID lights are not as good as good ol' sunlight. HIDs brighten things up, but any light can't be so bright and adjusted so high that it blinds oncoming traffic. Nor does any light shield the blindness of the oncoming traffic lights. It's just "better", but limited.

One very nice feature about HIDs, is that I can see by my constant display voltage meter I have in front that I have less of a voltage drop using HIDs.

·
Registered
280 Posts
ATGATT; Great idea, going HID for the low beam. Then
maybe a 65watt high beam? I found some Phillips lights
locally that are only 55 w. but they claim to be much
brighter. Only problem is the packaging does not specify
any lumen output or expected bulb life. One of the parts
guys said they are 'brighter'. Lots of help there...

Anybody have any experience with Phillips NightGuides
($44.99/pair) or Chrystal Vision Ultra ($34.99/pair)?
If I can find replacement bulbs that give me more
light that would be preferable to adding extra lights
to the cowling or forks...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Anyone know anything about the legality of the HID setups (california) how bad is it if I do get clipped?
A lot of the autos are running HID lights. Quite a few of the cholos in town are also running HID type lights, albeit not focused very well. Then there are the lifted SUV/trucks with their fogs and headlights all blinged out. You'd think that the cops will be going after them for mis-aimed lights?

I wonuldn't worry about the legalities in CA. You should re-aim the lights properly first, after the switch over.

If you get pulled over for the light issue, it's a fix-it ticket. No charge.

Peter

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.