Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My love of motorcycles goes waaaaaaaaaaay back.

Grew up riding dirt bikes. My first one was a doodle bug or mini bike. Think I was around 8 years old. First real bike was a Tohatsu 50 street bike that I quickly converted to dirt. After that there were a number of dirt bikes including the following brands: Hodaka, Montesa, Bultaco, Suzuki, Triumph, CZ, AJS, and Yamaha.

Started riding local district 35 scrambles in 1968. For all you motocross guys a scramble track is a smooth track consisting of mostly left turns, one right turn, and a jump that might get you only a foot or so off the ground. I quickly moved up thru the ranks and captured the 250 expert number 1 plate in 1970. Then it was on to professional flat track at a number of West Coast tracks. I mostly rode the Friday night half mile races the the famous Ascot Park in Gardena California. Other tracks included San Jose Fairgrounds, several short tracks in Nor-cal and indoor short tracks at San Jose and the Cow Palace in San Fran.

I did the Pro thing just for 2 years then got into hang gliding. Lots of memories and had some battles with a few guys that went on to become world class riders.

My numbers in the pics were 283 and 30 at the scrambles. Pro numbers were 101 and 32.

Would love to hear your racing stories too.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
OMG to go back to the good old Bultaco days. Awsome bikes. I mostly did motocross and used a suzuki tm 125. I also got into enduro using a suzuki ts 250. you mentioned CZ. when I was motocrossing, I thought the CZ400 was the monster of all things 2 cycle. Hodaka the combat wombat. Are we really that old?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OMG to go back to the good old Bultaco days. Awsome bikes. I mostly did motocross and used a suzuki tm 125. I also got into enduro using a suzuki ts 250. you mentioned CZ. when I was motocrossing, I thought the CZ400 was the monster of all things 2 cycle. Hodaka the combat wombat. Are we really that old?
Unfortunately yes we really are that old! Lol.

My favorite dirt bike of yesteryear was a 1971 400 CZ. I could climb any hill and wheelie that thing for a country mile...literally.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Curious is anyone can identify the rider sporting number 80 in this pic?

I am 101 and 108 on my right is Tom Horton.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
...Would love to hear your racing stories too.
Tim - it ain't 'flat-track', but will you accept THESE in YOUR thread...?>:) [That front wheel was from a Yamaha TD1 flat-tracker.]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tim - it ain't 'flat-track', but will you accept THESE in YOUR thread...?>:) [That front wheel was from a Yamaha TD1 flat-tracker.]

Absolutely, bring on all the motorcycle racing stories.

We need to reminisce cuz at our advanced age that's about all we can do! Lol.:wink2:

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
Absolutely, bring on all the motorcycle racing stories.

We need to reminisce cuz at our advanced age that's about all we can do! Lol.:wink2:
During time-trials at the Shepherds Raceway in Calgary, where I was running nitro for the first time [1965?], they 'paired' me up w/ a BB/GD (a dragster w/ a blown Chev small block on gasoline) running in the left lane. That was in the days BEFORE they had a "Christmas-tree", so the starter would point his flag at you to see if you were ready, so when he pointed at me I nodded YES. He pointed at the rail and the driver nodded NO, as the crew chief was fiddling w/ the engine, and then I (afraid of 'cooking' my engine) indicated I wanted to run. :goodidea:

Again he pointed at the rail and the driver AGAIN nodded NO. I indicated that I HAD to run, so he pointed the flag at me, I nodded YES, then he pointed at the rail - AGAIN NO, so the starter pointed at him and signaled him to shut-down his engine (a cutting motion across his neck), then back at me, and motioned w/ the flag for me to go.:clap:

I made my run, then started to slow, coming up on the FIRST turn-off which was on my LEFT, slowing thru about 50 mph as I began turning JUST AS THAT BB/GD screamed past me :eek: probably doing 135mph, and ONLY ABOUT SIX INCHES from my handlebars.

I still have bad dreams about that!:mad:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made my run, then started to slow, coming up on the FIRST turn-off which was on my LEFT, slowing thru about 50 mph as I began turning JUST AS THAT BB/GD screamed past me :eek: probably doing 135mph, and ONLY ABOUT SIX INCHES from my handlebars.

I still have bad dreams about that!:mad:
Wow that's really sketchy.

Someone was watching over you that day!

·
Registered
30 Posts
At 14 I had a Honda S90. Put an old set of knobbies on it and rode 100-mile enduros for a couple of years. Then moved up to a Yamaha 125 Enduro. That was big time! I was never any good, but rode with a lot of guys who were MUCH better than me. I stopped riding in my late twenties to start flying. After a 30 year flying career I am back to riding again. No enduros this time around though.

Reactions: quexpress

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
At 14 I had a Honda S90. Put an old set of knobbies on it and rode 100-mile enduros for a couple of years. Then moved up to a Yamaha 125 Enduro. That was big time!....
I rode enduros back in the '70s [in Ontario and Quebec], w/ several guys who rode on Canada's ISDT Team - International Six Days Trials - so VERY good riders, and Tino (the fellow in this pic, at 75 years old - on the left w/ the Honda XR650) started on a 90cc machine also. Ultimately he had several 'factory-rides', including a Jawa or CZ 370. From HUMBLE beginnings...!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I roadraced from 95 until the first weekend of the 2011 season. WERA and some CCS, regionals with a few Nationals thrown in if they were close to home. Did ok on a club level, a few national championships, had a lot of fun and met great folks I'll always call friends. About 10 years ago I did a little play riding flattrack on 100s and realized quickly I sucked on the dirt! Had fun before and after the compound fractured tibia though!

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
I rode enduros back in the '70s [in Ontario and Quebec], w/ several guys who rode on Canada's ISDT Team - International Six Days Trials - so VERY good riders, and Tino (the fellow in this pic, at 75 years old - on the left w/ the Honda XR650) started on a 90cc machine also. Ultimately he had several 'factory-rides', including a Jawa or CZ 370. From HUMBLE beginnings...!

At one of the meetings of the QTRF (Quebec Trail Riders Federation, the enduro club we belonged to) Tino was planned to demonstrate HOW to do a "4-minute tire-change", pretty much necessary IF you were riding at that level, as you could ONLY work on your bike on the trail, or in the "Parc Ferme" before the start of the day's ride.

You don't really see it in that pic, but he is built like the proverbial "BRICK SH*THOUSE", and he did the tire-change in UNDER 4-minutes using ONLY his bare hands.

Incredible demonstration!

:clap: - :clap: - :clap:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm surprised nobody can identify who number 80 is?

Any guesses?

He went on to be quite famous.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts