Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The strut mount plate on one of my cars got so rusted that it separated from the strut itself, so now the strut/springs are hanging out with the wheel about to fall off out of position.

I got a new strut mount plate and thought it was going to be easy to exchange it, but I have ran into problems...

The nut at the tip of the strut, how can you get that loose, when I try to turn the not, the whole strut shaft turns.

I tried to used one of those pressure pliers to hold on to the shaft but it is nut enough, the shaft still turns...

So, I am just lacking the strength to turn that nut loose or the technique to get it done, can someone help ?

Car #2

It turns on but it idles rough, but if you try to rev it, the engine will die...

I took it to a shop, they recommended to start by replacing all spark plugs which I did but the problem remains.

The guy at the auto parts recommended to change the fuel filter because it might be clogged.

Well, those gas metal pipes are screwed into the existing filters very tight, I was able to remove the top (outlet) pipe, but I just don't have the space to turn a range with the needed torque within the space available...

It is a pipe so I can't do it with a socket, it has to be done with a flare range but so far I am without luck...

Again, what is the technique there....

It seems like to get that done one would have to move the whole engine to the side to create the space needed...

So far just a very frustrating morning trying to get these parts loose but lacking the strength or techniques...

·
Registered
534 Posts
You will need a line wrench to get the fuel line off. A line wrench is a boxed in wrench that has a slot cut in it. Do not buy a cheap one they will expand and you will get no where.

Take the strut off the vehicle and take it to a repair shop where they have a high speed air wrench. They might even have to heat the nut so that the rust breaks loose.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Some good rust inhibitor would not hurt .

·
Registered
45 Posts
I suspect you have this sorted by now, but if not, the first question is what type of car is it? Although I am not a mechanic I am a service manager for a small auto shop and spend a lot of time sourcing parts and quoting repairs so I have absorbed lot of this stuff.

#1 - you will likely need a spring compressor, if that nut does come of the force of the spring releasing can take your head off. Take the entire strut to a shop and have them disassemble it. Depending on the type of car a better idea would be a monroe quick strut, it comes with the strut, spring and bearing plate all nicely assembled so you just unbolt your old one and bolt the new one in. Available for a lot of domestic cars.

#2 - once again depends on the car. check engine light on? if so did the shop pull any codes out of it? throttle position sensor, mass airflow sensor, low fuel pressure, all kinds of things can cause those symptoms.

Good luck with it!

Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts