Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2012 Versys 650 I just bought and it is in need of some new shoes. I will be riding in Colorado for the better part of 3 seasons rain or shine. I'm new to the bike and new to the street but have been riding dirt for a couple years. This bike will be nearly 100% street with a very rare fire road. I've read that it's hard to beat the Michelin road series but I was hoping not to spend that much. Anything close as far as performance/longevity goes for less? I ride and like Kenda tires on dirt but they don't seem to have anything for this bike.

I'm open to any and all suggestions so long as they are primarily a street tire.

Cheers,
Andrew

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
a) don't believe anyone that wants you to stay on street with the versys. (just saying, 'cause you sound decided to cripple your versatility for no reason yet)

b) choose the tire for the requirement, not for the bs % of road/dirt it will see. If you do 1% offroad, then bought a 90/10 then you crash it, get stuck down a hill you can't climb back, or break a leg after askid, you'll have learned the hard way that you should get the tire for the job. Knobbies do work on pavement. The opposite is stupid. I'm on 50/50 tires all the time now, despite doing easily 80/20 of pavement.

IGNORE THOSE % RULES.
Look at the thread pattern and longevity and make a choice.
I agree on the percentages. It has the scorpion trail II on now. Will the dual sport tires like the shinko e705 mentioned above handle sand/gravel on paved roads better?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know jack about tires, or much else related to maintenance for my bike (yet), that's a big reason I joined this forum. What Quad d says though makes sense to me. You didn't say what tires you ARE using though. What are they?
Scorpion Trail II. The front tire is starting to cup and is almost to the wear bars. The back is still good but I would rather replace both since the bike is new to me and I have no idea what sort of care the previous owner took with the tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I never followed up on this thread, but I ended up with the Dunlop Road Smart 3 front and rear. I got pretty good deal on them since the 4 had just been released. I have been happy with them so far and have not had any issues. As I progress as a rider they are still holding well. I have managed to use the entire tire and they felt confident all the way trough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts